This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51 / 51°0'0"N
Longitude: -3.3936 / 3°23'37"W
OS Eastings: 302304
OS Northings: 123216
OS Grid: ST023232
Mapcode National: GBR LN.K62R
Mapcode Global: FRA 36SG.MQM
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96730
Location: Clayhanger, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Clayhanger
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clayhanger St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 02 SW CLAYHANGER CLAYHANGER
7/85 The Old Rectory
Former rectory. Thoroughly rebuilt in 1823 at a cost of £1,000 (White's Devon, 1850)
but probably preserving some of the C17 fabric in the rear wing; late C20
renovations. Stone rubble, colourwashed and rendered to the front block; hipped
slate roofs; end stacks to main block with brick shafts, similar end stack to wing.
Plan: L plan, the front block 2 rooms wide with a central passage containing the
stair; rear right service wing containing kitchen at right angles to the main block.
Exterior: 2 storeys, the main block with a cellar. Symmetrical 3-bay front with C20
panelled front door in the centre with a fanlight with spoke glazing all within a
recessed round-headed arch. Fenestration of 12-pane timber sashes. Single-storey
lean-to at left end, C20 conservatory at right end. The rear wing has an attractive
symmetrical elevation facing the rear courtyard; central doorway below early C19 2-
centred arched stair window with intersecting glazing bars and some stained glass in
the margin panes; 12-pane timber sash windows. The wing has been extended to the
rear and a bread oven projects into the store-room at the left end. Evidence of
blocked windows suggests a pre 1823 core.
Interior: Stair with stick balusters and a ramped wreathed handrail; some 1823
joinery. The kitchen fireplace has 2 bread ovens. 1684 copy of 1684 glebe terrier
in possession of owner refers to 4 under and 4 upper rooms.
Listing NGR: ST0230423216
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings