This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.998 / 50°59'52"N
Longitude: -3.3954 / 3°23'43"W
OS Eastings: 302174
OS Northings: 122988
OS Grid: ST021229
Mapcode National: GBR LM.KKLV
Mapcode Global: FRA 36SG.T5P
Plus Code: 9C2RXJX3+5R
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325658
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96728
Location: Clayhanger, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Clayhanger
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clayhanger St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 02 SW CLAYHANGER CLAYHANGER
7/83 Church of St Peter
Parish church. West tower possibly C13, the fabric otherwise very rebuilt 1879-81
but window details suggest a C14 and earlier fabric. Local stone rubble; slate
roofs; C19 crested ridge tiles to nave and chancel.
Plan: of west tower, nave, chancel, south porch and north-east vestry. The C19
restoration involved re-roofing, a new chancel arch and a good deal of renewed
fenestration in the Decorated style and probably repair of pre and post C14 windows.
Exterior: The chancel has a 3-light C19 Decorated east window, a round-headed 1-light
window on the south side, (possibly C12) and an unusual square-headed 2-light north
window with trefoil-headed lights that is probably C14. The porch side of the nave
has a 2-light Decorated C19 window to the west and 1-light chamfered lancet to the
east. The south side has a 2-light square-headed cusped C15 window to the west with
carved label stops, much renewed, and a similarly renewed C14 2-light Perpendicular
window to the east of the porch. Slim 3-stage battlemented west tower with short
diagonal buttresses, no west door and a 2-light C19 west window; belfry openings to
all 4 faces, 2-light to the west face. C19 gabled north-east vestry with 2-light
transomed north window and square-headed chamfered west doorway. The porch has 2-
centred inner and outer doorways, the inner doorway with pyramid stops; probably C15
arched brace roof and timber topped benches.
Interior: Plastered walls; plain 2-centred tower arch; C19 double-chamfered chancel
arch the inner order polychromatic on stone corbels. C19 2-centred chamfered arch
into vestry; C19 boarded wagons to nave and chancel.
The chancel fittings are decent C19, including good tiling, a communion rail and
poppy-head choir stalls. C16 timber frieze re-used as reredos, C17 altar table. The
nave has a C17 timber lectern on a turned stem, an altered C19 timber drum pulpit and
a small circa 1200 (Pevsner) font with a fluted bowl and moulded stem. Good set of
circa early C16 carved bench ends fixed to later benches, the series extended in the
C19. Various motifs include foliage and profile heads with blind tracery below.
Numerous C17 and C18 memorial stones re-used as floor slabs, some with verses and
armorial bearings. East window with memorial date of 1887 probably by Drake of
Devon Nineteenth-Century Churches Project.
Listing NGR: ST0217422988
Other nearby listed buildings