This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8198 / 50°49'11"N
Longitude: -3.4889 / 3°29'20"W
OS Eastings: 295213
OS Northings: 103312
OS Grid: SS952033
Mapcode National: GBR LH.XRY0
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LX.SP0
Plus Code: 9C2RRG96+WC
Entry Name: Great Pit Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95402
Location: Silverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX5
Civil Parish: Silverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Silverton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 90 SE
7/216 Great Pit Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C15 with later alterations. Cob, stone footings, plastered, under
gabled-end slate roof. Formerly a 3-room, through-passage plan, with continuous rear
outshut under catslide roof, and with a later (C19) left hand extension. Left-hand
external stack with bake-oven bulge (partially engulfed in C19 extension) and right-
hand external stack with 2 off-sets heat service end and parlour respectively; hall
heated by rear lateral stack. All with brick shafts. 2-storeys.
Front: 5-window range, the roof ridge of the left-hand extension lower than that of-
the main house; all windows of 3-light, C19 casements. 4 similar 3-light windows to
ground floor. All windows retain glazing bars. Front door (to passage) under lean-
to slate porch. C19 and C20 windows to rear.
Interior: Plank and muntin screens stand to either side of the through-passage,
chamfered, stopped and with carpenter's mitres, with chamfered brackets supporting
bressumer in parlour. The doors through these screens are late C17 or early C18, one
(to parlour) with large fielded panels. Parlour with 3 axial beams with run out
Roof: 5 jointed crucks, pegged and morticed at apex; cranked collars; threaded
purlins; diagonal ridge piece; smoke blackened from end to end with some sooted
rafters over the service end. The hall (with through-passage) is of 2 bays, the
trusses to each end formerly closed, the central upright to each sooted.
Note: according to J H Ward (Trans. Devonshire Association, 42 (1910), 283 this house
possessed 'a very interesting plaster ceiling with sporting subjects, possibly of
1610'. The present occupier (March, 1985) believes there to be a fine 'painted'
ceiling above the parlour (right-hand) room chamber: it is possible that the ceiling
noticed by Ward still survives concealed.
Listing NGR: SS9521303312
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings