History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Berrynarbor, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2018 / 51°12'6"N

Longitude: -4.0625 / 4°3'44"W

OS Eastings: 256004

OS Northings: 146754

OS Grid: SS560467

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.4JNP

Mapcode Global: VH4MC.J2P0

Entry Name: The Manor Hall

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306870

English Heritage Legacy ID: 97017

Location: Berrynarbor, North Devon, Devon, EX34

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Berrynarbor

Built-Up Area: Berrynarbor

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Berrynarbor St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Berrynarbor

Listing Text

BERRYNARBOR BIRDSWELL LANE, (east side)
SS 54 NE
Berrynarbor
1/42 The Manor Hall
-
25.2.65
GV II

Former manor house, acquired for parish rooms and hall in 1947. Manor house circa
1480, extended in 1914 with C20 alterations. Original manor wing of ashlar, top
courses above string in brick, with ashlar dressings. Slate roof hipped at left
end, gable end to right. C20 wing of random stone rubble with gable-ended slate
roof.
Plan: Manor wing with single large rooms on each floor, formerly heated by
demolished stack to centre of rear wall, with C20 staircase at right end and outshut
to rear. C20 parish hall at right angles forming overall L-shape replaced the
former entrance wing and 2-storey porch in the angle, which were demolished in 1889,
the porch and some of the internal fittings being re-erected at Westaways, West
Pilton (q.v.).
Manor wing 2 storeys. Parish hall, single storey. Manor house wing has 2-window
range of 4-centred arched 4-light mullions, cavetto moulded and with Bassett
initials to the labels of the continuous hoodmoulds. Left-hand window has small-
paned casements. 2 ground floor windows have identical architraves, labelled
hoodmoulds and relieving arches, but mullions replaced in C20. The left-hand
window had been blocked up and a door inserted, but in mid C20 a new doorway was
punched through at the right end and the window reinstated. Above the right hand
window is a square stone inset and traces of a similar lozenge to left, which
formerly contained coats of arms. To the rear, above the outshut are 2 cavetto
mullion windows of three 4-centred arched lights.
Single storey parish hall has two 3-light transomed windows flanking porch with
gable-ended slate roof.
Interior of manor house wing largely altered in C20, but late C15 plain chamfered 4-
centred arched doorway survives to rear right-hand wall to ground floor, and a flat-
arched stone chimneypiece with ogee-flanking hollow-moulded surround and herringbone
slates to the back of the hearth to the upper storey.


Listing NGR: SS5600446754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.