History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beaford Methodist Church, Chapel Cottage and Adjoining Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Beaford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9156 / 50°54'56"N

Longitude: -4.0575 / 4°3'27"W

OS Eastings: 255460

OS Northings: 114920

OS Grid: SS554149

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.QRXR

Mapcode Global: FRA 26DP.72Y

Entry Name: Beaford Methodist Church, Chapel Cottage and Adjoining Railings

Listing Date: 16 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308876

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91668

Location: Beaford, Torridge, Devon, EX19

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Beaford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Beaford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Beaford

Listing Text

BEAFORD EXETER ROAD (north-east side),
SS 5514 Beaford

21/50 Beaford Methodist Church, Chapel
- Cottage and adjoining railings

GV II

Methodist chapel with adjoining manse and railings. 1838, enlarged and probably
altered in 1869 with further minor internal alterations of the 1930s. Minor late C20
additions. Rendered, probably over stone rubble, lined as ashlar to front. Gable-
ended Welsh-slate roofs with tiled ridge cresting. Lean-to roof over school room at
rear. Brick end stack to left. Cast-iron railings on low rendered wall.
Plan and development: Chapel to right with front entrance at right-hand end and one-
room plan former manse to left with integral end stack and entrance to right. School
room added to rear of chapel in 1869. Further 1869 additions probably include the
gabled porch to the chapel and the railings adjoining the front. The porch to the
manse and the minor addition of an outshut to the left-hand end were probably all
added at some time in the C20. The chapel is in a Gothick style. Two-storey former
manse.
Exterior: Chapel and manse with flanking pilaster strips. Chapel has 2 Gothick
small-paned (4 x 5 panes) windows with old glass, curved intersecting tracery and
slate cills. Doorway to right has C19 door (probably c.1869) with 4 recessed moulded
panels, and beaded wooden frame. Gabled porch with segmental-arched entrance and
scalloped barge boards. Manse has sash to each floor with 3-panes to each leaf
(probably replacements of c. 1869 - see horns), and slate cills. C19 boarded door to
right with beaded frame. Probably C20 porch with boarded gable. Small Gothick
window on right-hand gable end, lighting gallery, with small panes (4 x 5) and
intersecting tracery. Lean-to addition at rear of chapel has boarded door in side
wall. Cast-iron railings to front, on low wall with chamfered stone coping. Pair of
cast-iron gates, one leading to each doorway, each flanked by cast-iron standards
with moulded finials. Railings with superscribed lettering: "T. LAKE & CO.
BARNSTAPLE". Walls linking to chapel at each end.
Interior of chapel: Plastered walls with splayed jambs to windows. Two small-paned
(4 x 5 panes) windows of 1838 in rear wall with curved intersecting tracery.
Ceiling probably dating from the 1930s, replacing ceiling (probably of 1838) with
central plaster rose. Ceiling higher over gallery. Fittings probably mostly dating
from the 1869 internal remodelling. West gallery of 1838 supported on 2 wooden
Tuscan columns with pilasters at each end, and front with beaded lower edge, raised
and fielded panels divided by half columns, and moulded top rail. Two central panels
pierced. Raked seating, and staircase to rear (probably of 1869) with closed string,
rectangular sections stick balusters, and turned foot newel with finial. Reading
desk at left-hand end (probably 1869) with 3 panels to front, centre broken forward,
and steps up from each side, each with closed string, rectangular-section stick
balusters, and square foot newel with chamfered corners. Panelled dado partly
replaced by later matchboarded dado, probably of 1869. Mid C19 benches. Four-
panelled mid C19 door into school room at rear. Most of the woodwork has C19
graining.
The 1838 chapel was built at a cost of £220 16s (accounts).
Historical information taken from paper cutting recording the one hundredth
anniversary of the building of the chapel (1938).


Listing NGR: SS5546014920

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.