History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Trusham, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.628 / 50°37'40"N

Longitude: -3.6189 / 3°37'8"W

OS Eastings: 285592

OS Northings: 82176

OS Grid: SX855821

Mapcode National: GBR QP.SZWB

Mapcode Global: FRA 379D.XLQ

Entry Name: Church of Saint Michael

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308904

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84690

Location: Trusham, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Trusham

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Trusham

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Trusham

Listing Text

TRUSHAM CHURCH LANE Trusham
SX 88 SE

3/249 Church of Saint Michael
-
13.8.55
GV II*

Parish church. First Rector 1260. Reconsecrated 1259 by Walter Bronsecombe, Lord
Bishop of Exeter. Surviving structure mostly C15-C16, restored 1890. Rendered
stone rubble with granite and Beer stone dressings. Dry slate roofs with coped
gable ends. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle and south porch. Slender west
tower of 2 stages. Round headed west entrance doorway with date 1641 carved in
granite arch stone. Relieving arch over. Granite window above with 2 arched headed
lights and relieving arch. Small slit window at higher level to south wall.
Continuous string course above this. Granite windows to top stage each with 2
arched lights and hoodmoulds to north west and south sides. Further granite string
to base of rubble parapet with granite copings to battlements. West window of north
aisle is C19 in freestone, Perpendicular style. 3 windows to north wall of north
aisle are C15 Perpendicular with Beer stone tracery, cinquefoil headed lights to
left one and trefoils to other two. Left window also has beerstone lower frame and
mullions, others are granite. North chancel, 2-light, window is freestone, flat
headed with trefoil tracery. East chancel window is C19 freestone in Decorated
style with pointed label and carved stops. South wall has 2 identical C19
Perpendicular style freestone windows close to porch left and towards stair turret
right of porch. Stair turret links nave to chancel. C20 lean-to vestry to right.
Porch has rendered pointed doorway with granite imposts. Inner granite doorway is
chamfered and similar to tower one but slightly pointed. Carved armoured angel in
niche over.
Interior has ogee moulded waggon C15/C16 roofs to nave, chancel and north aisle.
Chancel ceiling panels have painted stylised plant decoration. Wave moulded
standard B (Pevsner) piers to 3-bay arcade with 4 centred arches between nave and
north aisle. Cushion bases to responds. Several original rear arches. Rounded
rubble tower arch; C19 oak bell frame. Granite newel stair to rood loft with round
headed granite doorway. Narrow pointed granite doorway from vestry. Piscina on
shaft in chancel of reused Norman fragment with pellet moulded lower border.
Fittings include round Norman font with roll mouldings; C19 cover; C15/C16 oak
roof screen with some original timber in base but mostly C19 reconstruction; C19
pine pews with moulded rectangular ends; C19 reredos with cinquefoils, crocketed
pinnacles, guilloche and trailing vine frieze between with brattishing and painted
wall decoration above; C19 oak polygonal pulpit and C17 oak chest with 3 locks.
Principal monuments are to John Staplehill 1593 in chancel north wall with painted
praying figures on wood of himself, his wife, 4 sons and 4 daughters all within
arched recess with inscribed brass under; also very fine is marble pedimented
classical aedicule, to John Stooke and Mary his wife, with Corinthian capitals
enclosing portraits within oval medallions attached to east wall of aisle. Further
monuments to Stooke family on south wall of nave, one to William Stooke 1677 and
sons William 1676 and James 1677 with steep pediment surmounted by hour glass and
flanked by ball finials with skull and cross bones in tympanum.


Listing NGR: SX8559282176

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.