This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6293 / 50°37'45"N
Longitude: -3.619 / 3°37'8"W
OS Eastings: 285588
OS Northings: 82322
OS Grid: SX855823
Mapcode National: GBR QP.SRW5
Mapcode Global: FRA 379D.XJV
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84688
Location: Trusham, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Trusham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Trusham
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
TRUSHAM BROADWAY (south side), Trusham
SX 88 SE
3/246 The Old Rectory
Farmhouse, one time Rectory now house. Late C15-early C16 possibly extended circa
1700. Rendered and painted cob walls. Hipped, wheat reed, thatched roof. One
axial and 3 lateral brick stacks. Single depth L shaped plan of 6 rooms plus later
short single storey hipped wings of pantry and rear porch linked by narrow lean-to
and stair turret in angle. 2 storeys. Irregular 5-window south west front. Mostly
old 2 and 3 light timber casements, some pre 1800 all with small panes and one to
first floor right is circa 1700 with leaded panes. Further circa 1700 windows to
first floor rear, to pantry with C20 glass and to rear end first floor of wing. Two
Cl7 oak windows : 3 light one with original chamfered mullions and leaded glass in
iron casement to outward facing first floor of wing and one with ovolo moulded outer
frame originally 4-light, now 3-light with replaced mullions and leaded glass to
first floor, inner facing wall of wing. 2 possibly original circa 1500 oak windows
survive : small 2-light one to stair turret, and cusped headed one in ground floor
of wing to left of stair turret originally 4-light but only one mullion survives.
Small circular pane of glass over each cusp. Original shouldered and chamfered oak
doorframe to left of this. Doorways to front wall, second from left opening and far
right have C20 glazed doors. Thatched hood over one to left.
Interior has smoke blackened jointed cruck roof structure with morticed collars and
threaded purlins; 3 bays in wing probably earliest part and one bay in main part.
Small dormer like structure in roof space at wing in line with and under ridge of
main part may be smoke louvre. Roof structure beyond axial stack of main part is
C18 and wall-painting of man with angel wings wearing what looks like tricorn hat
survives on chimney breast in roof space. Best ground floor room to right of axial
stack and probably the hall during the late C16 and C17 period has chamfered cross
beams probably C16 and plaster ceiling cornices surrounding rectangular spaces
between probably circa 1700. Large fireplace with oak lintel (chamfer cut away) red
sandstone ashlar back and brick lined oven. Mid C17 small panelled oak screen with
cyma mouldings divides this room from corner room to wing. Circa 1700 2-panelled
doors. Semi-circular on plan niche in back wall with scalloped shelves and fluted
pilasters also circa 1700. Winder stair in corner. Lateral hearth in room below
hall has chamfered oak lintel circa 1700 and bolection moulded fireplace surround in
first floor room over. Rough beams in wing originally with plaster ceiling are
probably of similar date. Possibly late C17 as corner hearth suggests or the
slightly earlier date of the two oldest first floor windows. Original open hall of
circa 1500 building was probably in wing. Most westerly part of house ie beyond
axial stack may have been rebuilt circa 1700.
This house may be on or near the site of Domesday Manor of Trisma (Devon SMR).
Part of good group.
Listing NGR: SX8558882322
Other nearby listed buildings