This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9105 / 50°54'37"N
Longitude: -4.0737 / 4°4'25"W
OS Eastings: 254308
OS Northings: 114380
OS Grid: SS543143
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.QV4V
Mapcode Global: FRA 26CP.LSZ
Entry Name: Beaford Mill and Adjoining Leat Retaining Walls and Bridge
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91623
Location: Beaford, Torridge, Devon, EX19
Civil Parish: Beaford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Beaford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 51 NW
11/4 Beaford Mill and adjoining leat
- retaining walls and bridge
Mill. Dated 1867, enlarged later in the C19. Snecked squared stone with dressed
quoins and voussoirs. Gable-ended Welsh-slate roof.
Plan: Mill aligned approximately north-west/south-east. South-east block dated
1867, extended to north-east in the later C19. Formerly with undershot external
waterwheel (waterwheel and its separate roof since removed) to south-west side of
1867 block. Leat retaining walls and small bridge also adjoining to south-west.
Mill of 2 storeys and loft with additiion of one-storey and loft.
Exterior: South-west (leat) side largely windowless, but has central first-floor 3-
light window to centre (blocked window below) and first-floor doorway to its left.
Right-hand gable end has small one-light attic window, first-floor C19 two-light
wooden casement and ground-floor 2-light opening. Datestone below attic window.
Left-hand gable end has 2-light wooden casement to loft and ground-floor pair of
large boarded double doors with wooden lintel and segmental-pointed stone relieving
arch. Rear of right-hand block has louvred attic window to left and first-floor
boarded door with wooden frame, and approached by external brick steps. Boarded
ground-floor boarded door below steps.
Leat retaining walls adjoining to south-west. Squared and coursed stone walls.
Small round-arched bridge over late with dressed voussoirs and cobbled decking.
Interior of mill: Two pairs of boxed millstones in first floor of right-hand block,
with old hoist for lifting stones. Various grain shutes and trap doors. Complete
wooden sack hoist in attic (formerly powered by take off from main drive) with wooden
pulley wheel and wooden drum with chain. Three-bay roof over 1867 end with bolted
collar trusses and pairs of purlins. Four-bay roof over later C19 end, with collar
trusses. Also old hoist in later end.
The mill and adjoining leat walls form part of a mill complex also including Beaford
Mill House (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SS5430814380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings