This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.692 / 50°41'31"N
Longitude: -3.1375 / 3°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 319748
OS Northings: 88658
OS Grid: SY197886
Mapcode National: GBR PC.74D5
Mapcode Global: FRA 4797.ZD4
Entry Name: The Bakery
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Last Amended: 8 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88713
Location: Branscombe, East Devon, Devon, EX12
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Branscombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Branscombe St Winifred
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 18 NE BRANSCOMBE BRIDGE
7/41 The Bakery (formerly listed as
- Bridge House)
Cottage and former bakery. Probably C18, possibly late C17. Plastered stone
rubble, maybe with some cob; stone rubble stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick;
Plan: 2-room plan cottage with central entrance hall containing the stairs. It
faces up hill to south-west. Each room has a gable-end stack, the right one for the
kitchen is projecting. 2 storeys with integral outshots across the rear.
Exterior: symmetrical 2-window front of late C19 casements with glazing bars (the
first floor right one blocked), and arranged around a central doorway containing a
late C19 plank door with a contemporary monopitch porch. Roof is gable-ended. The
rear pitch of the roof is carried down continuously over the rear outshots which
cover all of the back except the north-west end which contains a maybe C18 oak
doorframe containing a contemporary plank door.
Interior was not available for inspection at the time of this survey although it
appears mostly to be the result of the late C19 refurbishment and most of the
carpentry detail is hidden behind plaster. The kitchen fireplace is still open and
contains a bread oven.
This place was used as a bakery until circa 1986 and remarkable for the fact that
the baker made his bread by the old methods of heating the oven with faggots.
Listing NGR: SY1974988655
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings