History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barnells Including Terrace to North-West

A Grade II Listed Building in Branscombe, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6937 / 50°41'37"N

Longitude: -3.1364 / 3°8'11"W

OS Eastings: 319826

OS Northings: 88844

OS Grid: SY198888

Mapcode National: GBR PC.6YGY

Mapcode Global: FRA 4797.RX9

Entry Name: Barnells Including Terrace to North-West

Listing Date: 7 December 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1333270

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88675

Location: Branscombe, East Devon, Devon, EX12

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Branscombe

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Branscombe St Winifred

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Branscombe

Listing Text



SY 18 NE BRANSCOMBE

7/3 Barnells including terrace
7.12.62 to north-west
GV II

House. Built in 1825 by Captain Yule, enlarged in 1851 when bought by the Tucker
family, further work in 1860 was never finished, thoroughly refurbished in 1934.
Plastered stone rubble with brick dressings; stone rubble stacks with plastered
brick chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan and development: double depth plan house built across the steep valley side
and facing south-west. It has the 3 principal rooms on the front and service rooms
with large entrance hall and staircase to rear. The rooms are heated by an
irregular series of axial and gable-end stacks. The development of the house has
been described in detail by the 1934 architect Margaret Tomlinson (see source,
below). Essentially nothing really remains of the original Trafalgar Cottage here,
Captain Yule's cottage ornee of 1825. It was greatly enlarged and much rebuilt in
1851 and circa 1860 by the Tucker family whose house included a lace factory.
However the 1860 work was left unfinished and in 1934 the house was refurbished by
Margaret Tomlinson, a process which involved the demolition of the lace factory
section at the north-west end and its conversion to a terrace.
House is 2 storeys with attics.
Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 5-window front of C19 20-pane sashes, those
on the ground floor are full height. All have low segmental arches over, those on
the ground floor including stucco keystones and they have external shutters. The
front doorway is left of centre., It contains C20 French windows but the stucco
doorcase with voussoirs is C19. Most of the windows around the other sides were put
there circa 1934 but most are sash windows in the style of the mid C19 house. For
instance the rear stair window is a large tripartite sash containing a central 18-
pane sash, and the north-west end wall, a complete 1934 build, contains 16 and 12-
pane sashes and a 6-panel door with fanlight. The roof is gable-ended.
Interior contains some C19 joinery but most dates from 1934 though it is C19 in
style. This includes the stair.
From the left end of the front the wall of the demolished 1851 extension was left
standing up to first floor level as a feature of the terrace that end. The 3
segmental-arched window embrasures there are now open.
Source: Margaret Tomlinson. The history of a house; Barnells, Branscombe, South
Devon, 1825-1935, Architects Journal (Dec. 1935) pp 841-844. This includes plans of
the various phases, a detailed description of her own work there, and notes on the
often colourful occupants of the place. For instance Captain Yule was lieutanant on
the Victory in the Battle of Trafalgar and built the original Trafalgar Cottage
here.


Listing NGR: SY1982688844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description



SY 18 NE BRANSCOMBE

7/3 Barnells including terrace
7.12.62 to north-west
GV II

House. Built in 1825 by Captain Yule, enlarged in 1851 when bought by the Tucker
family, further work in 1860 was never finished, thoroughly refurbished in 1934.
Plastered stone rubble with brick dressings; stone rubble stacks with plastered
brick chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan and development: double depth plan house built across the steep valley side
and facing south-west. It has the 3 principal rooms on the front and service rooms
with large entrance hall and staircase to rear. The rooms are heated by an
irregular series of axial and gable-end stacks. The development of the house has
been described in detail by the 1934 architect Margaret Tomlinson (see source,
below). Essentially nothing really remains of the original Trafalgar Cottage here,
Captain Yule's cottage ornee of 1825. It was greatly enlarged and much rebuilt in
1851 and circa 1860 by the Tucker family whose house included a lace factory.
However the 1860 work was left unfinished and in 1934 the house was refurbished by
Margaret Tomlinson, a process which involved the demolition of the lace factory
section at the north-west end and its conversion to a terrace.
House is 2 storeys with attics.
Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 5-window front of C19 20-pane sashes, those
on the ground floor are full height. All have low segmental arches over, those on
the ground floor including stucco keystones and they have external shutters. The
front doorway is left of centre., It contains C20 French windows but the stucco
doorcase with voussoirs is C19. Most of the windows around the other sides were put
there circa 1934 but most are sash windows in the style of the mid C19 house. For
instance the rear stair window is a large tripartite sash containing a central 18-
pane sash, and the north-west end wall, a complete 1934 build, contains 16 and 12-
pane sashes and a 6-panel door with fanlight. The roof is gable-ended.
Interior contains some C19 joinery but most dates from 1934 though it is C19 in
style. This includes the stair.
From the left end of the front the wall of the demolished 1851 extension was left
standing up to first floor level as a feature of the terrace that end. The 3
segmental-arched window embrasures there are now open.
Source: Margaret Tomlinson. The history of a house; Barnells, Branscombe, South
Devon, 1825-1935, Architects Journal (Dec. 1935) pp 841-844. This includes plans of
the various phases, a detailed description of her own work there, and notes on the
often colourful occupants of the place. For instance Captain Yule was lieutanant on
the Victory in the Battle of Trafalgar and built the original Trafalgar Cottage
here.


Listing NGR: SY1982688844

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.