We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1049 / 50°6'17"N
Longitude: -5.0962 / 5°5'46"W
OS Eastings: 178695
OS Northings: 27345
OS Grid: SW786273
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.LGJ2
Mapcode Global: FRA 086Q.Y4S
Plus Code: 9C2P4W33+XG
Entry Name: The Sanctuary
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Last Amended: 17 June 1988
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309907
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66209
ID on this website: 101309907
Location: Mawnan, Cornwall, TR11
County: Cornwall
Civil Parish: Mawnan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mawnan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
Tagged with: Clergy house
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 January 2021 to update the name and address and reformat the text to current standards
SW 72 NE
9/224
MAWNAN
The Sanctuary
(formerly listed as The Old Vicarage, previously listed as The Rectory)
10.7.57
GV
II
Former rectory. C17. Remodelled circa early C18 and extended and remodelled circa early C19 probably during the incumbency of John Rogers. Killas rubble walls, shallow brick arches of circa 1830 over the openings. Steep scantle slate roofs, sweeping lower at rear with slightly projecting eaves at the front carried on wooden brackets. Brick chimneys over the gable ends including former gable end (now cross wall) towards the left.
Plan: now an L-shaped double depth plan with rear rooms (except where partitions are removed) under the outshuts behind both arms of the L. In the C17 the house was probably T-shaped with four rooms, this plan was remodelled circa early C18 retaining the C17 external plan and the front walls were remodelled as two three window fronts overlooking the front angle between the present main range and a cross wing on the right. At that time the hall was probably on the left, the parlour was in the front end of the cross wing and the kitchen in the rear of the cross wing with probably a buttery between. The stair hall-survives right of the former hall but a later C18 outshut now fills a former rear angle between the stair and rear wing. In circa the early C19 the house was extended on the left with a self-contained double depth house with two front reception rooms, a central entrance hall and stair hall (now remodelled) and service rooms in an integral outshut. At probably the same time the rear of the cross wing was extended on its right to create a large study and a lean-to porch was added mid-way to the right-hand wall.
Exterior: two-storeys. Overall five window east-south-east front with gable end of cross wing projecting on the right. Left-hand side of the front is a virtually unaltered circa early C19 symmetrical three window front with central doorway. Right-hand side of the front and the return wall of the left-hand side of the wing were remodelled in the early C19 and some openings were blocked and windows resited. There were until then two similar three window fronts facing into the angle and there was a doorway into the wing towards the angle. All the windows of the present front are hornless sashes with glazing bars dating from the early C19 extension and remodelling. The principal doorway is under the fourth from left-hand opening and has original (early C19) six-panel door, leaded fanlight and Tuscan doorcase with open pediment. The other elevations are similarly unaltered since the early C19.
Interior: is an interesting blend of circa early C18 and early C19 features except for the fireplace on the front wing which is C17 with chamfered granite monolithic jambs and lintel. C18 dog-leg stair with closed string, column-over-vase turned balusters, moulded handrails, square newel posts with moulded caps and ovolo-moulded panelled dado. There are several C18 two-panel doors, some with original HL hinges and handles. Early C19 features include plaster ceiling cornices with ceiling bands
Listing NGR: SW7869527345
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings