This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1655 / 50°9'55"N
Longitude: -5.0714 / 5°4'17"W
OS Eastings: 180745
OS Northings: 34013
OS Grid: SW807340
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.SP0M
Mapcode Global: FRA 088L.237
Plus Code: 9C2P5W8H+6C
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and Gate-Piers, Gates, Wall and Railing to South West
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63551
Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Mylor
Built-Up Area: Flushing
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Flushing
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 83 SW MYLOR ST PETER'S ROAD, (north side),
6/273 Church of Saint Peter and
gate-piers, gates, wall and railing
to south west
Anglican church including gate-piers, gates wall and railings. Built 1841, and
restored in 1871, 1893 and 1906. Designed by George Wightwick of Plymouth. Stucco
walls with freestone dressings to window openings and bellcote. Dry slate roof with
bellcote over south west gable end and semi-circular apse at north east gable end.
Rectangular aisless plan with original porch at south west end, vestry (1871) on left
and original chancel apse at north east end. Romanesque style.
Single storey. Principal original door and window openings are ordered, and windows,
1 to south west gable and 3 to each side wall, have original cast iron glazing bars
with integral fanlights. South west front originally symmetrical, has flat roofed
porch with plinth and parapet cornice. Central doorway with hood; circa late C19
ledged doors and carved figure of Saint Peter in tympanum. Further doorway to right-
hand side wall of porch and twin gabled vestry adjoining to left of porch, each gable
with tall narrow round-headed window. Main south west gable end has hoodmould over
central gable window and recessed panel to either side, with narrower window in each
and sloping machicolated cornice over. Gable is surmounted by eared gabled bellcote
with single bell hung within round-headed opening.
Interior: ordered freestone chancel arch; braced tie beam roof structure, ceiled at
collar level; plaster blind reredos arcade with 4-leaf enrichments to cornice; and 2
coloured glass windows, one of 1882 and the other 1884.
Entrance gateway with square pyramidal capped granite posts with scrolled wrought
iron overthrow to central lamp, and pair of finialled iron gates flanked by low brick
granite coped walls surmounted by wrought iron railings similar to gate.
Despite being reworked in the late C19 this building retains much of Wightwicks
Listing NGR: SW8074534013
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings