History in Structure

Engine House at SW 600265, New Engine Shaft, Trewavas Mine

A Grade II Listed Building in Breage, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.0908 / 50°5'26"N

Longitude: -5.3558 / 5°21'20"W

OS Eastings: 160066

OS Northings: 26583

OS Grid: SW600265

Mapcode National: GBR FX4F.ZGG

Mapcode Global: VH132.3ZY8

Plus Code: 9C2P3JRV+8M

Entry Name: Engine House at SW 600265, New Engine Shaft, Trewavas Mine

Listing Date: 26 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 65723

ID on this website: 101311611

Location: Cornwall, TR13

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Breage

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Breage with Godolphin and Ashton

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Tagged with: Chimney

Find accommodation in



7/193 Engine House at SW 600265, New
Engine Shaft, Trewavas Mine


Beam engine house ruin for 45" pumping engine. Circa 1838. Granite rubble with
partly dressed granite quoins, jambstones and lintels and dressed granite voussoirs
to round arch of plug doorway.
Rectangular plan with thicker bob wall south west with tall plug doorway from pit
floor level. Machinery, floors, studwork wall and gable over bob wall and roof
structure removed. Originally 3 floors over basement pit towards front. Set on a
steep cliff, the shaft in front of the bob wall on the seaward side.
Bob wall has tall central round-headed plug doorway to basement and ground floor.
Rear wall has ground floor boiler doorway and first and second floor window openings,
the gable over the upper opening fallen. Each side 'wing' wall has 2 ground floor
openings widely spaced and central first floor opening, the first floor window in the
right hand wall blocked.
In front of the bob wall on the left hand (west) side of the shaft is a masonry slot
for the former balance bob (probably added when the mine was too deep for the main
beam to carry the load by itself). North west of this is a capstan plat and a little
higher up the cliff a horse whim plat.
Wheal Trewavas was a copper mine worked between circa 1834 and 1846.
This engine house, and its associated features, is spectacularly situated about three
quarters of the way up a steep cliff and is part of a particularly complete group of
mining remains.
Sources: Mines and Miners of Cornwall, A K Hamilton Jenkin
Kenneth Brown, council member of The Trevithick Society

Listing NGR: SW6000026500

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.