This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3344 / 50°20'3"N
Longitude: -4.6083 / 4°36'30"W
OS Eastings: 214469
OS Northings: 51524
OS Grid: SX144515
Mapcode National: GBR N7.XB2W
Mapcode Global: FRA 1874.VWZ
Entry Name: Church of St Willow
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Last Amended: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312492
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60551
Location: Lanteglos, Cornwall, PL23
Civil Parish: Lanteglos
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanteglos-by-Fowey
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 SW LANTEGLOS-BY-FOWEY
8/49 Church of St Willow(formerly listed
as Parish Church of St Wyllow)
Parish Church with Norman origins. Traces of Norman work in tower arches and
in jambs on south doorway. A XP stone built into main doorway was dated by Pevsner
to be C8 at latest. Church reconstructed at end of C14 with tower, nave and north
arcade. South arcade circa C15. Porch possibly rebuilt in C17. Church restored by
E H Sedding in 1904-5.
Rubblestone with granite dressings. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one
under continuous roof. North and south aisles continue to west end of chancel.
Single buttress on south aisle and 3 buttresses on north, 2 stepped and 1 heightened
South aisle west window, 3-light Perpendicular with C19 restoration. Wide 2-
centred arch with hood and drips. To west of porch, two 3-light Perpendicular
windows with rectangular hoods and drips ornamented with shields. To east of
porch, 3 perpendicular windows in 4-centred arches. 2 to west of 4-lights, and
window to east of 3. Two 2-light perpendicular windows with slight ogee headed
trefoils to east windows of north and south aisles. East window, C19, decorated
tracery with hood and drips. East window of north aisle, 3-light rectangular with
trefoil heads. Possibly reset. To north aisle. Three 4-light Perpendicular
windows under 4-centred arches with hoods. North door with pointed, chamfered,
granite arch. 3-light rectangular Perpendicular window with hood and drips
decorated with shields in partly blocked opening to west of north door.
Unbuttressed tower of four stages with battlemented cornice with crochetted finials.
West window with C19 decorated tracery of 3 lights. 3-light cusped belfry openings
with slate louvres in rectangular surround with hood. Pointed relieving arches.
South porch gabled with 2-centred chamfered arch. Sundial above. Round-headed holy
water stoup in east wall. South door with chamfered jambs. On jambs three distinct
crosses, two on east jamb and one on west.
5-bay arcade of octagonal piers of Pentewan stone to north and south aisles.
North arcade circa C14 with octagonal piers on square bases with simple octagonal
slightly cushioned capitals. Almost round arches. South arcade circa C15 with
moulded bases on square plinths with moulded octagonal capitals.
Tall tower arch, of simple double chamfered section, opening into nave and
aisles. Large engaged piers on east side of tower arch opening to north and south
aisles. Original unceiled waggon roofs throughout with chamfered ribs in north
aisle and moulded to nave and south aisle. Elaborated bench ends circa 1500. Circa
C13 font with Pentewan stone bowl with stiff leaf carving. Purbeck marble detached
shafts on rounded bases with heavy simple caps. Bowl hollowed octagonally inside
(only example in Cornwall). Rood loft stairs in south aisle.
Carved oak altar table, gift of Baronet Mohun to Parish in 1634. Altar table
in Lady Chapel designed by Sedding. Alabaster panel depicting martyrdom of St
Lawrence fixed to wall above. Found during restoration.
2-centred arch to piscina in Lady Chapel and rounded arch to piscina in south
wall of chancel.
Chancel aisle probably Mohun Chapel. Tomb chest in canopied recess in south chancel
aisle built for Thomas Mohun who supervised its construction. Late C15. Originally
with painting of resurection on wall above tomb. Dividing panels of round arches on
decorated pilasters with foliage bands at sides and heraldic arms in centres.
Partly painted. 2 watercolours at west end of Church illustrate church interior
prior to restoration with box pews insitu. Signed Jane M Perceval, 1903.
Fragments of early glass in east window of south aisle with heraldic shields
and figures of nativity and the annunciation. Fragments in windows in north aisle.
North and south chancel windows by Kemp with figures of Saints Prisca, Agnes,
Sebastian and Kabiam. South aisle west window by Kempe and Tower.
Stocks at west end of Church.
C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide 1925.
Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889
N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall
Church Guide rp.1981.
Listing NGR: SX1472152339
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings