This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0102 / 52°0'36"N
Longitude: -0.3483 / 0°20'53"W
OS Eastings: 513459
OS Northings: 235925
OS Grid: TL134359
Mapcode National: GBR H50.W7C
Mapcode Global: VHFQW.XQ7W
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312589
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37850
Location: Meppershall, Central Bedfordshire, SG17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Meppershall
Built-Up Area: Meppershall
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Meppershall
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 13 NW MEPPERSHALL CHURCH ROAD
31.10.66 Church of St Mary the
Parish Church. C12, C13, C15, half rebuilt 1875-6 by Sir Arthur Blomfield.
Coursed ironstone, ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, central
tower, N and S transepts, nave, N and S aisles. Chancel: C13. E elevation
has 3 C19 lancets. N and S elevations each retain lancet to E bay, C15 3-
centred 3-light window to W bay, and small blocked square-headed window
between. S elevation also has C15 4-centred doorway. Tower:C12. 3 stages,
top stage added or rebuilt C15. Round-headed arches to all sides of ground
stage, plain except for simple moulding to W side of W arch. N arch partly
rebuilt C19. 2nd stage has C12 loop to each side. Top stage has C15 2-
light windows to bell-stage. C19 embattled parapet. Transepts: C12,
reworked C15. Each is lit by C15 4-light cinquefoiled window with flat head.
N transept now a vestry and organ chamber. S transept E wall rebuilt C15,
with a tower staircase included in thickness of wall. C19 embattled
parapets. Nave and aisles: rebuilt 1875-6. 3-bay pointed-arched arcades.
Clerestory has 6 pairs of single lights to each side, aisles have 3-light
windows under flat heads, 3 to N, 2 to S. S aisle has pointed-arched doorway
in slightly projecting gable. Interior: C15 12-sided font to S aisle. E
walls of N and S transepts have altar recesses with 4-centred heads and
carved panel decoration, and retaining traces of paint. N one set within
blocked semi-circular archway. S transept has brasses to John Meptyshale
(d.1440) and wife, and to John Boteler (d.1441) and wife. Chancel wall
monuments include polychrome one to Timothy Archer (d.1672), rector.
Transept roofs include some C15 work, otherwise roofs and pews are C19.
Listing NGR: TL1345935925
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings