History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bramham, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8818 / 53°52'54"N

Longitude: -1.3517 / 1°21'6"W

OS Eastings: 442715

OS Northings: 443036

OS Grid: SE427430

Mapcode National: GBR MR0K.57

Mapcode Global: WHDB7.6PLJ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313180

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342215

Location: Bramham cum Oglethorpe, Leeds, LS23

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Bramham cum Oglethorpe

Built-Up Area: Bramham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bramham

Listing Text

BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE VICARAGE LANE
SE44SW (north side)
LS23
1/55 Church of All Saints
30.3.66

GV II*

Parish church. C12 and C13, altered and restored in C19 and C20. Magnesian
limestone, stone slate roof. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel.
Tower of 3 offset stages, has on the west side at the 1st stage a round-headed
window with jamb shafts and roll-moulded head and at the 2nd stage a round-headed
lancet and a clockface, on the south side a very small lancet to each stage and
a similar clockface, on each side of the 3rd stage a round-headed belfry window
of 2 recessed round-headed lights and a colonette with cushion capital (these
renewed following fire in 1874), a corbel table to a deep embattled parapet with
corner pinnacles and 2 gargoyles in each outer side, and a short recessed octagonal
spire. Three-bay nave has embattled parapet on a corbel table of small carved
gargoyles interrupted by short carved pinnacles which define the bays. Buttressed
4-bay south aisle (4th bay making chapel) has a gabled porch to the 1st bay,
with C19 2-centred outer doorway, protecting a 2-centred arched south doorway
with 2 orders of colonettes carrying stiff-leaf capitals and with dog-tooth decoration
in the head; west end of this aisle has a C13 window of 2 cusped lights with
a trefoil in the head, the south side has C19 windows imitating this and the
east end has a similar restored window. Chancel has 3 tall lancets rising from
a sillband, a C19 east window of 4 lights with tracery in the head, and on the
north side one lancet and a C19 vestry. Interior: C12 tower arch with piers
which have 3 orders of moulding and cushion capitals; C12 north arcade
of round-headed arches carried on unusually high columns with square caps, and
C13 south arcade of double-chamfered 2-centred arches carried by tall octagonal
piers with moulded caps, both with matching responds; 2-centred double-chamfered
chancel arch with composite shafts and moulded tripartite caps, containing a
C20 rood; chancel has 2-bay north arcade and l-bay south arcade, and trefoiled
rere-arches to the lancet windows; various wall monuments to Fox Lane family
of Bramham Park (q.v.), notably George (d.1773).


Listing NGR: SE4271543036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.