History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dexter Paints with Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Burnley, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7885 / 53°47'18"N

Longitude: -2.2521 / 2°15'7"W

OS Eastings: 383486

OS Northings: 432496

OS Grid: SD834324

Mapcode National: GBR DSQM.6N

Mapcode Global: WHB83.C1SG

Plus Code: 9C5VQPQX+C5

Entry Name: Dexter Paints with Attached Railings

Listing Date: 29 September 1977

Last Amended: 19 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313386

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467236

Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Trinity

Built-Up Area: Burnley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burnley (Habergham Eaves) St Matthew the Apostle

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text


BURNLEY

SD8332SW TRAFALGAR STREET
906-1/18/150 (East side)
29/09/77 Dexter Paints with attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
TRAFALGAR STREET
Sandygate School (Burnley Nursery
Training Centre))

GV II

Formerly known as: Habergham Eaves School TRAFALGAR STREET.
Parish school, now paint warehouse. Dated 1840 on centre
gable; altered. Coursed squared sandstone, the main range now
rendered and painted; slate roof. Tudor style. E-plan formed
by long main range with projecting gabled porch and gabled
wings.
Single storey except left (north) wing which is 2 storeys,
1:3:1:3:1 windows. The porch has a large mullioned window of 3
Tudor-arched lights with a hood-mould, and above this a large
stone plaque inscribed "HABARGHAM EAVES / PAROCHIAL SCHOOL /
Erected / A.D.1840", and in the left side wall a Tudor-arched
doorway. The main ranges to left and right each have 3 tall
2-light mullioned windows. The gables of both wings have
windows like that of the porch; the 2-storey left wing has a
2-light window at 1st floor, with a chamfered sillband carried
round to the 4-window left return (to Sandygate) which has
square-headed mullioned windows of 3 lights at ground floor
and 2 lights above, all with chamfered surrounds and those at
ground floor with a sillband and a dripband; the right-hand
return of the right wing has two 2-light flush windows. Rear
altered.
INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: front areas each side of porch enclosed
by tall spear-headed bar railings on stone plinths, with
gateways at outer ends (right-hand gate missing).


Listing NGR: SD8348632496

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.