This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.845 / 53°50'41"N
Longitude: -1.8628 / 1°51'46"W
OS Eastings: 409124
OS Northings: 438758
OS Grid: SE091387
Mapcode National: GBR HRFZ.HF
Mapcode Global: WHC91.CM66
Entry Name: Cuckoo Nest
Listing Date: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337936
Location: Harden, Bradford, BD16
Civil Parish: Harden
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Harden
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE03NE BINGLEY HARDEN ROAD
SE091387 (north side, off)
5/78 Nos 1, 2 and 3
House, now in 3 occupations. Initialled and dated
"B.F.M.F.R.F. 1693" (Benjamin, Martha and Robert Ferrand) with
slightly later cell added to right. Hammer-dressed stone, stone
slate roof. 2 storeys. 2-cell, baffle-entry plan double-depth
with added cell. All are double-chamfered mullioned windows. 1st
cell has cottage doorway to left of 5-light window with 4-light above
(lacks 2 mullions). 2nd cell, housebody, has 5-light window and
2-light (probably fire-window) with small single light to left of
3-light and 2-light windows above; dripmould over ground-floor windows;
doorway with eared architrave and jambs treated as rusticated quoins,
dated lintel with cornice, oculus window above. Coped gable to left
with kneelers and stack; other ridge stack to right in position of
gable at junction with added cell. This cell is set back and has
6-light window with king-mullion under hoodmould with spiral stop.
The rear of this cottage has an original back door with a segmental
lintel and broad chamfered surround. Rear of 1693 house breaks forward
and has its original fenestration: five 2-light windows with a cross-
window at mezzanine level to light the stair.
Interior: housebody has a very large fireplace with a wide segmental
arch, cyma-moulded surround and spandrels carved in foliage patterns.
small service rooms to rear. Replaced dog-leg staircase in original
position. Added cell may have been a new parlour as all the beams
are elaborately stop-chamfered. A cellar is reported to contain
stained glass but was not inspected. The treatment of the main door
surround is similar to that at Micklethwaite Grange (q.v.).
Built by the Ferrands on the St. Ives Estate close to the estate kennels.
RCHM (England) report.
Listing NGR: SE0912438758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings