This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4385 / 53°26'18"N
Longitude: -1.4315 / 1°25'53"W
OS Eastings: 437865
OS Northings: 393673
OS Grid: SK378936
Mapcode National: GBR LXFP.W3
Mapcode Global: WHDD9.ZTJV
Entry Name: Thundercliffe Grange
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335676
Location: Rotherham, S61
Electoral Ward/Division: Shiregreen and Brightside
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thorpe Hesley Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK39SE ROTHERHAM GRANGE LANE
(east side, off)
Country house,formerly a hospital now flats. 1776-85 by John Platt for the
3rd Earl of Effingham, later additions and alterations. Ashlar sandstone,
Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with attic (possibly of later date), 7 x 6 bays;
low 2-storey service wing attached to right return set around quadrangle.
Entrance front: 2:3:2 bays, central 3 bays break forward and have pediment to
2nd storey. Plinth. Enclosed central porch (added) has double doors flanked
by paired pilasters, arms carved in panel beneath entablature. Flanking bays
have sashes with glazing bars with projecting sills and cornices. lst-floor
band, sashes as ground floor but without cornices. Cornice rises to form
pediment with oeil-de-boeuf in tympanum. Attic: blocking course forms plinth
to pilasters clasping angles and paired flanking central bays. 6-pane sashes,
2 inserted casements above pediment. Full entablature. Hipped roof with
rendered ridge stacks: 2 to front ridge, 2 to left ridge; elongated end stack
to right. Service wing to right has projecting sills to renewed casements and
lintels tooled as voussoirs. Ridge stacks.
Rear: tripartite porch with pediment. Outer bays bowed and with single tripartite
window to ground and 1st floors (window to ground-floor left now with door).
Similar window above porch has sill blocks and central feature beneath slight
cornice flanked by sashes with glazing bars. Cornice with central broken
pediment. Attic: 6-pane sashes to central and outer bays, inserted casements
flanking central bay. Service wing to left now altered and cement-rendered.
Left return of main house has enlarged doorway to bay 4 with fire escape to
Attic storey has paired pilasters flanking bays 2 and 5.
Interior: entrance hall has 2 semi-domed niches and contemporary side-wall
fireplace. Inner entrance hall lit by roof lantern and with cantilevered
staircase with cast-iron balustrade; round-arched arcade to landing. Dining
room to front right has plaster wall panels and marble fireplace in wood surround.
Room to rear right has Tuscan-pillared division.
Home of the Effingham family following their move from Holmes Hall near the
developing Walker ironworks of Masbrough. Platt's journal (cited in Ross)
records several visits to the Grange including one to dine with Lord Effingham
on 25th October 1783, the probable completion date of the house.
C. M. Ross,John Platt Mason-Architect, Clifton Park Museum, Information Sheet 11,
Listing NGR: SK3786593672
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings