History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swaffham Prior House

A Grade II Listed Building in Swaffham Prior, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2505 / 52°15'1"N

Longitude: 0.2895 / 0°17'22"E

OS Eastings: 556386

OS Northings: 263843

OS Grid: TL563638

Mapcode National: GBR M88.VBW

Mapcode Global: VHHJZ.YPXL

Plus Code: 9F42772Q+6Q

Entry Name: Swaffham Prior House

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 15 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49370

Location: Swaffham Prior, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Swaffham Prior

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Swaffham Prior St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Swaffham Bulbeck

Listing Text

TL 5663 SWAFFHAM PRIOR HIGH STREET
(West Side)

15/149 No 86 Swaffham Prior House
(formerly listed as
1.12.1951 Swaffham Prior House)

II

Small country house mostly mid-late C18 but having C17 origins.
In C19 the house was extended. Narrow yellow brick, English
bond with parapetted gable roof of plain tiles with end parapets
and two ridge stacks, one late C18 probably replacing one of
C17, and the other C19. The parapet is surmounted by a late C19
stone balustrade with ball finials. Two storeys and attics with
bands between storeys and at eaves height. Five hipped
dormers. The principal facade is in nine bays, including three
slightly projecting centre bays. Segmental headed arches and
stone sills to nine recessed hung sashes of twelve panes each.
Most of the hung sashes are C19 but three at ground floor, left
hand have ovolo glazing bars and are original. Late C19
pedimented Doric portico of Ketton stone. The late C19
additions are of grey brick and include a two storey, half-round
bay at the right hand gable end. Inside there is little
evidence visible of the original C17 house. One room is lined
with reset mostly C17 panelling and overmantels with typical
round headed blind arcading and newel work of early C17. The
back staircase is also reset and probably late C17. It has
symmetrical balusters. In 1751 the house was acquired by Dr
John Peter Allix and the house remained in this family until
c1980.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p121, mon (4)


Listing NGR: TL5669263844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.