History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitpot Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingskerswell, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5016 / 50°30'5"N

Longitude: -3.5872 / 3°35'13"W

OS Eastings: 287535

OS Northings: 68070

OS Grid: SX875680

Mapcode National: GBR QS.FVCX

Mapcode Global: FRA 37CQ.Y06

Entry Name: Whitpot Mill

Listing Date: 17 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317587

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84865

Location: Kingskerswell, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Kingskerswell

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Kingskerswell St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Kingskerswell

Listing Text

SX 86 NE KINGKERSWELL CHURCH END ROAD
3/191 Whitpot Mill
- II
Water mill. Probably early C19 with later C19 alterations. Local limestone
rubble, rendered. Scantle slate roof with gabled ends. Square on plan
with wheel and pit on north side and entrance at lower ground level on
east side.
Three storeys. East front has C19 boarded door on left and fixed 3-light
window to left with overlapping panes of glass. On the south side a loading
door on first floor and a small second floor window in the gable. Also
on the south side there is a single storey shed with a cast entrance in
the gable end. On the north side a cast-iron overshot waterwheel, its
baskets removed. The north elevation has 2 single-light windows on the
second floor and 2 2-light casements on the first floor, all with glazing
bars.
Interior: the Ground floor has some of the heavy wooden frame for the
machinery with iron gearing but the rest of the machinery has been removed.
The second storey has the complete set of wooden boarded grain bins and
a wooden sash hoist and tackle. The composite millstones are lying nearby
outside.
The mill was held by William Bennett in 1566. In 1756 Judith Gelsius left
it to Susanna Bealy of Abbotsberswell. Whites Directory of 1878 gives
William Lee as the miller. the mill was closed in about 1919. Information
provided by the present owner.


Listing NGR: SX8753568070

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.