This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2892 / 50°17'21"N
Longitude: -3.6533 / 3°39'11"W
OS Eastings: 282319
OS Northings: 44561
OS Grid: SX823445
Mapcode National: GBR QP.992Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 3878.GJY
Entry Name: South Grounds Farmhouse
Listing Date: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99864
Location: Slapton, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Slapton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Slapton St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 8244 SLAPTON
South grounds Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa 1835 to 1840, with later C20 alterations. Local slate
rubble with red brick window jambs, low pitched slate hipped roof with deep
eaves. Rendered side stacks with tall red clay pots and small rendered
stack over front wall.
Plan: Double depth rectangular plan. 2 principal front rooms with entrance
to stairhall between to right of centre, and service rooms behind, a large
kitchen to the left and what was probably the dairy to the right. There is
a cellar under the front room entered via an external doorway on the left
side. In the late C20 the house was restored and the entrance hall was
widened by moving the partition on the left-hand side.
Exterior: 2 storeys and cellar. Asymmetrical 3-window with front. C19
16-pane sashes, some restored, the windows to left of centre are 12-pane
sashes, all in openings with flat stone arches. Doorway to right of centre
with panelled grid glazed door and C20 open porch with hipped slate canopy
on wooden posts. On left-hand side the cellar doorway has a plank door and
to its left at higher level a late C20 conservatory.
Rear elevation has 16-pane sashes, some restored and large C20 central stair
window with C20 porch below.
Interior: Only the ground floor was inspected. Most of the original
joinery has been replaced but the original open well staircase survives with
stick balusters and turned newels.
Listing NGR: SX8231944561
Other nearby listed buildings