This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0975 / 51°5'51"N
Longitude: -2.1102 / 2°6'36"W
OS Eastings: 392378
OS Northings: 133142
OS Grid: ST923331
Mapcode National: GBR 2XZ.1BK
Mapcode Global: FRA 66G7.3Q7
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320783
Location: Berwick St. Leonard, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Berwick St. Leonard
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Fonthill Bishop with Berwick St Leonard All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BERWICK ST. LEONARD HINDON ROAD
ST 93 SW (off north side)
1/1 Church of St. Leonard
Anglican parish church, now redundant. C12, C14, rebuilt 1860.
Flint and limestone, fishscale tiled roof. Plan: small nave and
chancel with entrance below south tower. Chamfered pointed doorway
on south side of 2-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, offset
bellstage has one cusped lancet with pierced decorative louvres to
each side, moulded square sundial over south window, moulded eaves
cornice to pyramidal tiled roof. Nave has C19 two-light square-
headed window to right of tower, several blocked openings. South
side of chancel has C19 plain chamfered pointed doorway, 3-light
C14 east window with intersecting tracery, coped verge with cross
finial, north side has C19 two-light square-headed window. North
side of nave has two C19 two-light square headed windows, blocked
C12 round-arched doorway with tympanum and lintel with rosettes.
West end has C14 three-light window with intersecting tracery,
diagonal buttresses and coped verge with cross finial.
Interior: Chamfered pointed inner doorway with C19 hoodmould, over
is beaded circular tablet with relief-carved Agnus Dei, said to be
C12. Three-bay C19 nave roof with arch-braced collar trusses.
Small square piscina on north wall, C19 octagonal stone pulpit, C12
cylindrical stone font with brass cover, C19 pews, cavetto-moulded
pointed niche on north wall. Plain chamfered chancel arch with
chamfered square responds, chancel has C19 roof with 2 collar
trusses and tesselated floor, large C19 ogee-headed piscina on
south wall, east window with grissaille-style glass flanked by
prayer boards. Fine baroque marble wall monument on north wall of
nave to George Howe died 1647; broken segmental pediment with
heraldic arms over, relief-carved demi-figures of George Howe and
his wife Dorothy, with demi-figures of children in oval recess
below, decorated with festoons and drapery. On south wall is slate
panel with round-arched moulded surround to the five children of
Sir George Grobham Howe, died between 1660 and 1662. The two bells
are of 1725 and 1766. The rebuilding in 1860 was paid for by
Alfred Morrison of Fonthill. The church was declared redundant in
1973 and is in the care of the Redundant Churches Fund.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; Church
Listing NGR: ST9237833142
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings