History in Structure

Bailey Hill Water Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in South, Luton

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8685 / 51°52'6"N

Longitude: -0.4154 / 0°24'55"W

OS Eastings: 509201

OS Northings: 220067

OS Grid: TL092200

Mapcode National: GBR TSW.Y6

Mapcode Global: VHFRM.R98G

Plus Code: 9C3XVH9M+CV

Entry Name: Bailey Hill Water Tower

Listing Date: 20 February 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35858

ID on this website: 101321343

Location: New Town, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1

County: Luton

Electoral Ward/Division: South

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Luton

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Luton St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Water tower

Find accommodation in


5123 Bailey Hill Water
TL 0920 4/3

1901. Bold Arts and Crafts design comparable with work of Townsend. Design
consultant Henry T Hare. Luton grey bricks, stone dressings. Square plan
on splayed plinth with stone mouldings, and rounded demi tower at each corner,
the north-west one forming stair tower with narrow slit casement windows.
The north face has a low broad round arched deeply recessed ground floor entrance
in stone. On other 3 faces at first floor level is a single round headed
mullioned and transomed window, with iron glazing bars, quoining and splayed
cill. At upper level all four faces have a pair of 2 light mullioned windows
with iron glazing bars. Above these, each face has a heavy rectangular stone
balcony supported on three pairs of brackets and with a projecting spout at
each end. Above the balcony, a broad round headed arch springs from the demi
towers to form a recess, within which a central door surmounted by a tripartite
keystone gives access to the balcony and is flanked on either side by 4 casements
windows with iron glazing bars. Upper section of tower decorated with stone
bands of various widths. Pyramidal roof of stone slates with deeply projecting
eaves, a winged figure acting as a corbel or bracket support at each of the
four corners. Small hipped dormer to each face of roof. Built to supply
water to Stopsley after the drought of 1898. (W Austin, Luton and Its Hamlets,
1928, II p 213).

Listing NGR: TL0920120067

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.