This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9898 / 51°59'23"N
Longitude: -0.6173 / 0°37'2"W
OS Eastings: 495040
OS Northings: 233273
OS Grid: SP950332
Mapcode National: GBR F2D.6R4
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.870Z
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 1 March 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321663
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38243
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Built-Up Area: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9433-9533 WOBURN PARK STREET
1.3.72 Church of Saint Mary
Parish church. 1865-8 by Henry Clutton for William 8th Duke of Bedford.
Ashlar, with tiled roofs. Chancel, N vestry, nave, N and S aisles, W tower.
Developed late C12 French style. Most windows are single lights without
tracery, flanked by engaged slender columns, with almost semi-circular pointed
arches and dripstones. Most buttresses are surmounted by gargoyle
waterspouts. Mostly plain parapets with ornamental corbelling. Stone coping
to gables with variety of cross finials. Chancel: of 3 bays, above a vaulted
crypt. Side walls have 3 windows each, E elevation has 2 windows surmounted
by a rose window at attic level. N vestry: single-storeyed with pyramidal
roof and tall chimney stack to N elevation. Square-headed mullioned windows
to E. Nave: 5 bays, with lower floor level than chancel. W elevation has 2
windows surmounted by a rose window at attic level. 5-bay arcades to both
sides on slender paired columns. These have shaft rings and crocket capitals,
and support ribbed stone vaulting to nave and aisles. Aisles: N aisle of 5
bays, with one window each to W and E ends and 5 to N. S aisle is of 4 bays,
with 4 S windows and one E window. At W end W tower takes place of what would
be S aisle 5th bay. Circular stair turret to NE angle. Shallow angle
buttresses and embattled parapet. Main entrance is to S elevation. Square-
headed double doors within moulded round-arch with slender engaged columns.
This is set in gabled bay which projects to line with buttresses and has
carved lizard stops to moulding. Bell-stage has paired louvred openings,
similar to windows but more deeply recessed and with 3 columns to each side of
surround. At this level stair turret has blind arcading. Gargoyles lean out
from tops of parapet angles. Interior: main enrichment of nave and aisles
consists of engaged columns, folite carving to capitals, ribbed vaulting etc.
Carved decoration to chancel panelling and choirstalls, organ (at E end of N
aisle) and pulpit (projecting into nave from chancel). Gilded and painted
reredos by Caroe, shows scenes of Annunciation, Nativity, angels and saints in
canopied riches. Glass to E windows of chancel 1893 by Kempe. Nave has
circular font with carved decoration of crosses and doves in circles.
Pevsner, pp 164-5; Bedfordshire Record Office: R5/917, General Account: Cash
Listing NGR: SP9504033273
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings