This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5207 / 51°31'14"N
Longitude: -0.1217 / 0°7'18"W
OS Eastings: 530412
OS Northings: 181869
OS Grid: TQ304818
Mapcode National: GBR J9.T1
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.V10K
Entry Name: 24, Old Gloucester Street
Listing Date: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322084
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477650
Location: Camden, London, WC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW OLD GLOUCESTER STREET
798-1/100/1750 (East side)
Formerly known as: St George the Martyr Girls and Infants
School OLD GLOUCESTER STREET.
Girls' infants school, now private residence. 1863-4. By SS
Teulon. Stock brick with yellow brick and stone dressings,
slate roof. Early Gothic style.
3 storeys, front to Old Gloucester Street, return to Gage
Street. Irregular composition adhering to street line. Ground
storey with door at north end and lancet openings with
forceful continuous stone mullions to windows. First-floor
windows with pointed brick relieving arches. Top storey with
tall arched windows, some with geometrical tracery. Gables and
external chimneybreasts and chimneys, now slightly simplified.
Entrance at north end with fanlight under pointed arch.
INTERIOR altered, but with teaching spaces essentially
surviving. On angle with biblical quotation and date 1863.
Characteristic school building by Teulon, which forms a strong
group with No.25 the boys school (qv) and St George the Martyr
church, Queen Square (qv), the latter altered by Teulon.
(The Builder: 29 October 1864).
Listing NGR: TQ3041281869
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings