This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3344 / 50°20'3"N
Longitude: -4.6411 / 4°38'28"W
OS Eastings: 212137
OS Northings: 51607
OS Grid: SX121516
Mapcode National: GBR N6.X7PJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 1854.V0W
Plus Code: 9C2Q89M5+PH
Entry Name: Fowey Hall
Listing Date: 27 April 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323709
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469234
Location: Fowey, Cornwall, PL23
Civil Parish: Fowey
Built-Up Area: Fowey
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Fowey
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 SW FOWEY TOWN HANSON DRIVE
Country House, now a hotel. 1898, built for Sir Charles Hanson who became Sheriff of the City of London, later Lord Mayor, built in an elevated position overlooking Polruan, Hanson's former home village. MA TERIALS: roughcast render with Portland Stone dressings; red tile roofs over stone modillioned eaves cornices; pedimented dormers and large stone axial stacks with moulded cornices; lead domed central bellcote with turned wooden balustrade and a weather vane; ogee lead roofs to corner towers.
PLAN: large nearly symmetrical plan with 2 cross wings plus square corner towers projecting at the front plus parallel range at the rear plus C20 extension to ground floor of right-hand return. Queen Anne style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attics; symmetrical1:1:5:1:1-bay garden front, the central bays set back between projecting outer bays and with a Tuscan round-arches arcade to a ground-floor loggia with a turned stone balustrade to the balcony above. 6/6-pane sashes set in moulded architraves; Venetian windows with octagonal centres to glazing of central lights to ground floor of bays left and right of loggia; round arches with fanlight heads to openings set back within loggia, and segmental arches to other ground-floor windows. Pedimented dormers. Left-hand return is a 5-bay entrance front with similar detail to garden front. Central1st-floor window under open segmental pediment on Ionic columns and distyle Tuscan porch with an open pediment; panelled doors. There is another Tuscan porch to left of this front with 2 columns to the front and 4 to the side, sharing the corner column. Original windows and doors except later windows to dormers.
INTERIOR: very high quality and retains all the original features in robust early C18 style including moulded and carved Baroque style plasterwork; plaster barrel vault to axial passage, eared, consoled or bolection-moulded chimney-pieces; many pediments, pilasters and round arches; Ionic columns between spaces of principal rooms; moulded doorcases; panelled doors; oak panelling, and large open-well staircase with turned balusters.
A fine composition in a revivalist classical Baroque manner, situated in a commanding position within a planned garden.
Listing NGR: SX1213751607
Other nearby listed buildings