This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3084 / 50°18'30"N
Longitude: -3.6263 / 3°37'34"W
OS Eastings: 284293
OS Northings: 46652
OS Grid: SX842466
Mapcode National: GBR QQ.G40D
Mapcode Global: FRA 3896.T8T
Plus Code: 9C2R895F+9F
Entry Name: Asherne
Listing Date: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325178
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100015
Location: Strete, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Strete
Built-Up Area: Strete
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Strete St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Small country house. Probably circa 1836 (deeds) and remodelled in circa
1860 when Mrs. Packe bought the nurse from the Herberts.
Stuccoed stone, rusticated stucco ground floor. Slate hipped roof with deep
eaves with moulded cast-iron gutters. Axial and side stacks with tall
groups of rendered brick octagonal shafts with cornices.
Plan: Built around a service yard, situated at the rear, with principal
rooms on the south front overlooking the sea, services in a wing to the rear
left, the drawing room in the front of a projecting cross-wing on the right
with the stairhall behind entered through a porch on the right side.
Through the rear of the cross-wing a passageway gives access to the service
yard. The right hand cross-wing is probably a circa 1860 addition and part
of an extensive remodelling of the house. The house is built on top of a
high cliff overlooking the sea.
Exterior: 2 storey. Asymmetrical. 3:1 bay south front, the right hand bay
projects. An ornate case-iron balcony with intersecting tracery across
entire front supported on thin cast-iron spiral-moulded posts and large
cast-iron brackets on moulded corbels. The first floor windows are Cl9
French casements with margin panes and integral sliding shutters in boxes
with moulded cornices. The centre right hand first floor window is a small
casement with louvred shutters. At the centre left of ground floor a
doorway with a glazed door and panelled shutters flanked by Cl9 4-pane
sashes with louvred shutters and to the right in the projecting bay a square
bay window under the balcony with million-transon windows.
The right hand (east) return is entrance side, 1:1:2 bays. The centre bay
is a gilded 2-storey porch with a moulded round-headed doorway with C19
panelled double doors and semi-circular fanlight with radiating glazing
bars; above is a cast-iron balcony and French casement similar to those at
front. To left the balcony continues around from south front and the first
and ground floor windows are French casements with louvred shutters similar
to those at front. To the right of porch 2 similar windows with louvred
shutters and moulded round-headed doorway to service yard at back. On the
roof above is a square wooded gable-ended bellcote.
The left hand (west) return has 12-pane sashes on first floor with louvred
shutters and a French casement below enclosed inside a C20 conservatory. To
the left a high stone wall screens a backyard.
Interior: Was only partly seen but appears to be intact and complete with
all its Cl9 joinery. The large square hall has a high domed plastered
ceiling and a timber gallery with small turned balusters; off the hall
opposite the gallery a wide straight staircase. The drawing room has a mid
C19 stone chimneypiece with later C19 painted flower decoration and a later
Cl9 iron grate with decorative tiles. The drawing room has a moulded
plaster cornice with ceiling boarder and pretty late Cl9 wallpaper painted
with cornflowers. The bedchamber above has painted chinoisserie wallpaper
and moulded plaster vaulted ceiling with flowers in deep relief and a white
marble chimneypiece with a tiled cast-iron grate (NMR Photograph). The back
staircase has stick balusters and a turned newel.
Listing NGR: SX8429346652
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings