History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel and Charles Baker Monument in Burial Ground

A Grade II Listed Building in Kentisbeare, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8659 / 50°51'57"N

Longitude: -3.2927 / 3°17'33"W

OS Eastings: 309122

OS Northings: 108178

OS Grid: ST091081

Mapcode National: GBR LS.TMNR

Mapcode Global: FRA 36ZT.C05

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel and Charles Baker Monument in Burial Ground

Listing Date: 15 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325882

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95767

Location: Kentisbeare, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Kentisbeare

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Kentisbeare St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Kentisbeare

Listing Text

ST OO NE KENTISBEARE SAINTHILL
8/112 Baptist Chapel and Charles Baker
- monument in burial ground
II
Baptist chapel and integral manse. Dated 1830. Mainly pebbledashed cob, with
unrendered random rubble limestone to rostrum (north) end; gable end slate roof with
crested ridge tiles. A simple rectangular space with a gallery at the main entrance
end (south) and a small 2-storeyed manse built behind the rostrum under the same
roof as the chapel, heated by a small brick stack. The chapel is aligned
north/south.
Exterior: west elevation: 3 pointed 2-light windows to chapel, the middle one
taller than those to either side, with Y tracery, the frames pegged; intersecting
leading and some panes of comtemporary brightly coloured glass. Gallery lit by 2-
light window, lintel at eaves level. The manse has a 2-light square-headed casement
window to each floor, each light with original wooden tracery. Entrance front
(south): pointed central doorway with planked door, with triangular-headed lancet to
either side and another set above. East elevation: external stair turret to
extreme left (access to gallery); two 2-light pointed windows, smaller than to the
west, and set high. North end with rounded corner, and no windows.
Interior: Gallery, now boarded to form a meeting room, but with the original
frontal visible. Upper rail with diamond patterning; 4 simple depressed panels to
either side of 2 central panels enriched with cable moulding and apertures with
organ pipes. Benches and other furnishings, circa 1870. Planked canted ceiling.
Rooms to rear of rostrum with planked doors and strap hinges. Panelled door to
gallery.
The burial ground contains some C19 monuments including a slate headstone in a brick
pillar, commemorating Charles Baker (d.1836) 'founder of the Baptist cause at
Sainthill'.


Listing NGR: ST0912208178

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.