History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vicarage Including Outbuildings to North and West and Boundary Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Holcombe Rogus, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9626 / 50°57'45"N

Longitude: -3.3446 / 3°20'40"W

OS Eastings: 305669

OS Northings: 118994

OS Grid: ST056189

Mapcode National: GBR LQ.MLHS

Mapcode Global: FRA 36WK.NTK

Plus Code: 9C2RXM74+35

Entry Name: The Vicarage Including Outbuildings to North and West and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 5 April 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325919

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95969

Location: Holcombe Rogus, Mid Devon, Devon, TA21

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Holcombe Rogus

Built-Up Area: Holcombe Rogus

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Holcombe Rogus All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Tagged with: Clergy house

Find accommodation in


ST 01 NE
The Vicarage including
5.4.66 outbuildings to north and west and
12.ll.84 boundary walls
House, former vicarage. Dated 1750, refurbished in mid-late C19. Plastered stone
rubble; stone rubble stacks topped with C19 brick; slate roof.
Plan: double depth plan-house facing south-east. The main front block has a 2-room
plan with one of the principal rooms either side of a central entrance hall which
contains the main stairs. These principal rooms each have gable-end stacks.
Service rear rooms under parallel roofs set at right angles to the main block and
producing a double-gabled rear elevation. The left gable-end has a chimney shaft;
it was probably the kitchen. House is 2 storeys.
Exterior: main block has a symmetrical 3-window front arranged around a central
doorway which contains a mid C19 pair of part-glazed double doors with margin panes.
It is flanked by contemporary French windows with glazing bars and margin panes.
The first floor windows are probably earlier; a central 16-pane sash flanked by 20-
pane sashes. The eaves are carried on a series of shaped brackets and the roof is
gable-ended. The left end chimneyshaft includes a datestone inscribed 1750. The
rear has C19 casements with glazing bars. There is also, across the front, a C19
verandah, now with a C20 roof of corrugated plastic supported on cast iron trellis
posts and with a floor of polychrome tiles. This verandah is taken across the front
the outbuilding to left as far as the doorway through the boundary wall from the
lane. (These ancillary features are described below).
Interior: was not available for inspection at the time of this survey. However
enough was seen to establish that the interior contains more C18 joinery and other
detail than the exterior might suggest. The stair, for instance, rises round an
open well, it has an open string with shaped stair brackets and turned balusters
with flat blocks. There is some ornamental plasterwork here which is C18 in style
if it is not original.
Either side of the front are ancillary outbuildings. The one to left has a C19
doorway containing a part-glazed door onto the verandah. This one now has C20
garage doors onto the lane up to the church. Behind this is a service courtyard and
the rear block of this contains a second garage with its doorway onto the lane.
This one with an elliptical arch doorway of circa 1930. The property is enclosed by
a tall stone rubble wall. The space between the garages contains a segmental-headed
arch doorway from the lane to the service courtyard. Alongside the front of the
house, from the lane to the verandah, there is a segmental arched doorway of C18
brick (now containing a C19 panelled door). The wall along the lane returning along
Fore Street has plain coping. Along the rear of the property it has slate coping
and at the far (north-eastern) end includes a carriageway under a segmental arch.
This house including its outbuildings and boundary walls form an attractive group in
the vicinity of Holcombe Court (q.v), the Priest House (q.v) and Church of All
Saints (q.v). Apparently the Vicarage was built in an old walled garden of Holcombe
Court after the death of the Reverend Robert Bluett (d. 1749). He had lived at
Holcombe Court and allowed the Priest House to fall into disrepair.
Source: Andrew Gabriel and Barbara Fletcher. A Short History of Holcombe Rogus
(1986).p 18. They date the Vicarage 1756.

Listing NGR: ST0566918994

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.