This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.026 / 51°1'33"N
Longitude: 0.5225 / 0°31'21"E
OS Eastings: 576993
OS Northings: 128208
OS Grid: TQ769282
Mapcode National: GBR PV4.LXM
Mapcode Global: FRA C6ZD.PCG
Entry Name: Conghurst, with Walls and Outhouses Attached
Listing Date: 22 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325969
English Heritage Legacy ID: 169645
Location: Hawkhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN18
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Hawkhurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
HAWKHURST CONGHURST LANE
TQ 72 NE (east side)
Conghurst, with walls
and outhouses attached
House. Late C16, refronted c.1800 and extended c.1900. Timber framed and tile
hung on first floor with sandstone on ground floor, and with lathe and plaster to
return elevations, with plain tiled roof, the early C19 and C20 wing rendered with
slate roof. Garden front (C19): 2 storeys on plinth with plat band and cornice
with stack clusters to rear left and to rear right. Four glazing bar sashes on
first floor, 2 sashes to right and 2 cross-windows to left on ground floor: end
left bay an addition of c.1900, end right bay mid C19. Central doubled half-
glazed doors with rectangular fanlight in projecting sandstone porch, with Doric
pilasters and cornice. Rear wings of 2 storeys and attic half-hipped, with irreg-
ular wooden and metal casements. Present main entry by old rib and stud door
replaced in flat roofed stone porch. Interior: c.1800 block with geometrical
stair with stick balusters and wreathed handrail and simple marble fireplaces.
Rear wing with stone inglenook, with side panel bearing arms cartouche of Scott
and Congerhurst families, quartered and bearing date 1599. Hasted (vol VII) says
Thomas Scott began rebuilding after 1533. The same principal room with moulded
dais beam with dentilated egg and tongue and fluted enrichment, with parallel
cross-passage beam with identical enrichment, with paired cambered headed doorways
with fern leaf spandrels, filleted ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window
reset to passage. Brick lined cellars. Projecting from the east of the house a
stone-walled courtyard, walls about 8 feet high, some 20 by 30 yards, with boarded
gates, and range of outhouses of stone, red brick and weather-boarding with plain
tiled roof; 1 storey and attic, L-shaped plan with boarded doors and wooden case-
ments. Beyond this, and stretching into Sandhurst Civil Parish a walled garden,
walls about 8 feet high of red brick on sandstone, buttressed in places, of vary-
ing heights, enclosing an area some 50 by 50 yards.
Listing NGR: TQ7699328208
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings