This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8268 / 50°49'36"N
Longitude: -3.4215 / 3°25'17"W
OS Eastings: 299975
OS Northings: 103991
OS Grid: SS999039
Mapcode National: GBR LL.XC06
Mapcode Global: FRA 36QX.8TT
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95208
Location: Bradninch, Mid Devon, Devon, EX5
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Bradninch
Built-Up Area: Bradninch
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bradninch St Disen
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BRADNINCH FORE STREET (east side),
SS 90 NE
13/16 The Guildhall
Guildhall. 1835; rear extensions of 1893; alterations and enlargement of facade,
1921-3. Cob and stone, pebbledashed, under slate hipped roof, with parapet. 2
Front: symmetrical; the original building is of 3 bays, each divided by pilasters
(and with pilaster quoins); at the intersection of these and the parapet are placed
the Duchy of Cornwall devices of crown and feathers, with the spread eagle device
occupying the central position and slightly breaking the parapet level. 3 large
lst floor windows are also of the original build, all with hornless sashes, 8 panes
above, 12 below, under segmental-headed arches. To this front in 1921-3 were
(1) recessed stair turrets to each side, treated as the main range but without
upper windows or heraldic devices, each with recessed doorway, and architrave under
moulded canopy on console brackets; to the left-hand stair turret is affixed a 2-
way clock of 1902.
(2) canted bay window to the original side bays, the side lights with two 4-pane
horned sashes, the middle light with two 8-pane horned sashes.
(3) a square-headed central doorway with architrave and inscription panel above
(giving date of 1921 and attributing the work to the then Prince of Wales); small
balcony under central window, supported by console brackets, with iron railings.
Rear extension (of 1893) is plain; of the fenestration, two of the three 2-light
windows to the right-hand side elevation, and the 3-light window to the end have
double-leaded glazing, 15 panes below the transom, and 9 above. The end window
contains a (re-used) roundel of glass with the Royal arms, presumably of 1835.
Some internal decoration of 1835 survives.
Reference: A Taylor, Portrait of Bradninch, A Duchy Town (Tavistock, 1981) pp.6-7.
Listing NGR: SS9997503991
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings