History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Johnby Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Greystoke, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6867 / 54°41'12"N

Longitude: -2.8792 / 2°52'45"W

OS Eastings: 343418

OS Northings: 532758

OS Grid: NY434327

Mapcode National: GBR 8GB7.GR

Mapcode Global: WH812.RG4G

Entry Name: Johnby Hall

Listing Date: 27 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326690

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73845

Location: Greystoke, Eden, Cumbria, CA11

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Greystoke

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Greystoke

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Ellonby

Listing Text

NY 43 SW GREYSTOKE JOHNBY

12/124 Johnby Hall
27.12.67

II*


Fortified house. Probably late C14 with C15, C16 and C17 extensions and late
C17, C18 and C19 alterations. Thick pink sandstone rubble walls, on chamfered
plinth, under hipped graduated greenslate roof with banded sandstone ashlar
chimney stacks. C14 3-storey rectangular tower to which has been added a
smaller C15 3-storey rectangular tower, joined by a short passageway; C16
unifying refacing and 3-storey angle stair turret, gives a 3-storey 4-bay
facade; at left a right-angled C17 2-storey, 4-bay kitchen wing, forming overall
L-shape. The main feature of the facade is the projecting right full-height
stair turret which has on its left return wall a stone door architrave under a
shaped hood, which is carried up and around a large panel inscribed WILLIAM
MUSGRAVE, ISABEL MATENDALE 1583, with further English lettering giving the
family descent. Upper-floor front 2- and 3-light windows under hoodmoulds.
Facade has off-centre door in C19 surround, replacing the left 1747 doorway, now
a window. Various 2- and 3-light windows on 3 levels, some mullioned and
transomed, one of 5 lights. The return walls and rear have irregular small
medieval openings, some of them blocked and various 2- and 3-light windows, some
in C19 surrounds. The kitchen wing has a central Tudor-arched doorway under a
terracotta panel of a horseman. 2- and 4-light chamfered stone-mullioned
windows and left pent extension. Right link with the main house has a
Tudor-arched doorway, up stone steps, the lintel inscribed WM CM 1637 (William
Musgrave and Catherine his wife). Interior of the main house has original
features such as vaulted basements, newel staircases and stone arched
fireplaces. See W.M. Taylor, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland & Cumberland,
1892, pp.294-304; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian
Archaeological Society, new series, xxxii, pp. 85-103.


Listing NGR: NY4341832758

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.