This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7611 / 54°45'39"N
Longitude: -2.6928 / 2°41'34"W
OS Eastings: 355514
OS Northings: 540902
OS Grid: NY555409
Mapcode National: GBR 9FMD.T2
Mapcode Global: WH80S.LLXF
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 27 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73487
Location: Kirkoswald, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Kirkoswald
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkoswald St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 55520 40900 KIRKOSWALD KIRKOSWALD
NY 54 SE
7/61 Church of St Oswald
Church. Early C12 with late C12 additions, mid C13 and early C16 additions;
renovations of 1847 and 1878. Large blocks of red sandstone rubble, green and
Welsh slate roofs with coped gables and cross finials; ashlar vestry chimney
stack. Nave and chancel with north and south gabled aisles;/detached bell tower
is listed separately North timber-framed gabled porch of c1523, has C19 stone
infill, incorporating above entrance a reused early C17 stone inscribed ROBERT
LOWTHION; porch seat is part of a C16 pew with carved poppy head end boards.
Flanking pointed lancet windows, with 2-light mullioned Tudor window to left.
North wall has 8 medieval grave slabs leaning and fixed to it. Nave has C19
west window with well down steps below with C20 inscription. Blocked south
entrance with hollow chamfer and roll mouldings is probably C13; flanking Tudor
mullioned windows, that to right of 3 lights is a C19 enlargement. Chancel has
tall 3-light mullioned Tudor windows. Interior has 3 bay arcades of round
arches with pointed west end arches on carved corbels. C13 chancel arch is on
base of C12 arch; flanking niches for statues. Tudor 2-light clerestory
windows. Panelled oak roof of 1847. Medieval bowl font and medieval cross
fragment built into west window of north aisle. C20 side chapels in both
aisles. Chancel has heraldic stained glass to various local families of 1846.
Marble wall plaques to members of the Fetherstonhaugh family and fragment of
plaque of 1609 to Thomas Brougham. Open timber roof is also C19. Alterations
of c1523 were carried out at the expense of Thomas Lord Dacre when the nearby
College of Vicars was formed by him.
Listing NGR: NY5551440902
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings