History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barclays Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in St Columb Major, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4348 / 50°26'5"N

Longitude: -4.9404 / 4°56'25"W

OS Eastings: 191282

OS Northings: 63575

OS Grid: SW912635

Mapcode National: GBR ZN.5MJ0

Mapcode Global: FRA 07JX.53L

Entry Name: Barclays Bank

Listing Date: 12 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1327406

English Heritage Legacy ID: 71234

Location: St. Columb Major, Cornwall, TR9

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Columb Major

Built-Up Area: St Columb Major

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Columb Major

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Columb Major

Listing Text

ST COLUMB MAJOR

1555/17/230 FORE STREET
12-MAY-88 ST COLUMB MAJOR
(East side)
63
Barclays Bank

II
History
Nothing is known of the early history of this building. It was constructed in the latter part of the C19 and altered and extended during the C20.

Description
Late C19 Bank, architect unknown, but clearly influenced by Silvanus Trevail. Brick with granite dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends. Two storeyed bank is on a corner site, on Fore Street and Broad Street; the entrance is on the corner, with the banking hall along the right side facing Broad Street. Free application of Jacobethan style.
Exterior: Asymmetrical fronts. The entrance has a canted front at ground
floor with a shouldered arched doorway at the left side, double doors with strap
hinges, a round arch with a shield over. Pilasters and cornice with strapwork in
granite above. The central bay has 2-light window with round arch and shield over. The bay to right has ovolo-moulded mullion and transom window, with pilasters and cornice with strapwork. There is a polygonal tower above with windows with transoms, band course and blank arcade with shields, tall spire with finial. The right side has similar 4-light mullion and transom window with sidelights, pilasters and cornice; first floor has smaller 4-light mullion and transom window with pilasters. Shaped gable over with strapwork, pierced parapet and initials WW,with moulded coping; stack with chamfered top to right. C20 2-storey brick addition at the right end. The left side has 2-storey bay with single light at ground floor, corbelled out with 3-light window with chamfered granite mullions. To left a bay with 4-light window with chamfered mullions at ground floor, the cill levels of the lights stepped. At first floor an angled 4-light window, attic in gable above with sash and finial. Buttress to left and the end bay set back with C20 window at ground and first floors, small gable over with bargeboards and finial.
Interior: Not inspected.

Summary of Importance
Though the precise date of construction, and the identity of the architect, are not known, the building is an important and particularly noteworthy structure within the small town of St Columb Major.

Sources: Kellys' Directories, 1873, 1883, 1889 and 1893

Listing NGR: SW9128263575

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.