This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3158 / 50°18'56"N
Longitude: -4.8888 / 4°53'19"W
OS Eastings: 194430
OS Northings: 50198
OS Grid: SW944501
Mapcode National: GBR ZR.293D
Mapcode Global: FRA 08N6.F6L
Plus Code: 9C2Q8486+8F
Entry Name: Garlenick
Listing Date: 10 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327444
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71349
Location: Grampound with Creed, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: Grampound with Creed
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Grampound with Creed
Church of England Diocese: Truro
Tagged with: Building
SW 95 SW WITH CREED
House. Probably late C17 origin; substantially rebuilt in 1812 for Gwennap Moore,
and dated GM 1812; few later alterations. Slatestone rubble with Pentewan stone
dressings. Slate roof in 3 spans, with central well, with ridge tiles and gable
ends. Gable end stacks with Pentewan stone shafts and cornices. Partly rendered.
Plan: Large double depth plan, with central entrance and principal room to front
right and left. The entrance hall leads to a large central hall, with the stair hall
at the left side, and a further principal room to rear left. To rear right there is
a lateral passage, with service rooms to rear and a small gun room/office to the
front of the passage. There is a service stair to rear.
Exterior: 2 storeys, a symmetrical 5-bay front on plinth, with embattled parapet.
Central early C19 6-panelled door with fanlight with decorative glazing bars; cornice
on consoles over a round arch. To right and left, two C19 16-pane sashes with stone
voussoirs and five similar sashes at first floor. Three hipped dormers, each with
C19 2-light 6-pane casement. Attached to right there is a screen wall in rubble with
coping and a stone cross set over a doorway with segmental arch, leading to the
service courtyard at the right side of the house. The right side is rendered and
lined out, with lead rainwater heads. There are 3 bays under 3 gables, all windows
of early C19. The central bay has at ground floor a 16-pane sash with voussoirs and
panelled and glazed door; attic has 6-pane sash with segmental arch and bellcote over
dated GM 1812, with stone gable and ball finial. Attached to right is a single
storey range of single storey, enclosing the service courtyard, with C20 windows and
doors; the main range has a central open passageway, with elliptical arch over the
doorway to each side. Concrete tiled roof with gable ends, heated from a large stack
with rubble shaft at the rear. The left end has two blind gable ends, with a central
bay with embattled parapet. At ground and first floor to left in the central bay is
a 16-pane sash with voussoirs and a large round-arched 24-pane sash with radial
glazing bars, lighting the main staircase. At the rear there are four bays with a
modillion cornice. The 3 bays to left have 16-pane sash at ground and first floors;
to right there is a 20-pane sash with sidelights and segmental arch at ground floor,
16-pane sash with sidelights at first floor. Four hipped dormers, each with 6-pane
Interior: The entrance hallway has plaster quadripartite vault with pilasters. The
room to front right has a cornice with Lombard frieze; chimneypiece replaced in C20.
Doorcase with pediment. The room to front left has chimneypiece with crossed guns,
commemmorating Sir John Moore of Corunna; plain cornice. To rear left there is a
dining room, the chimneypiece in marble with slender columns; plaster cornice and
centrepiece. All ground floor rooms have 6-panelled doors. To mid left there is a
closet/linen room. To mid right, the gun room/office, the chimneypiece set in the
corner with moulded mantel and pilasters. To rear there is a lateral corridor, and
straight hall to left has cornice with anthemia, open-well stair with stick balusters
and wreathed handrail, dado rail. At first floor, all rooms have 6-panelled doors
with reeded architraves, reeded cornices.
In the single storey range attached to right, the rear gable end fireplace has spit
and cloam oven with cast iron door. The passage through the range is cobbled.
Listing NGR: SW9443050198
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings