This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1246 / 50°7'28"N
Longitude: -5.4689 / 5°28'7"W
OS Eastings: 152155
OS Northings: 30710
OS Grid: SW521307
Mapcode National: GBR DXWC.1RC
Mapcode Global: VH130.5459
Plus Code: 9C2P4GFJ+RF
Entry Name: Chy-an-Scol and Old Schoolhouse, including courtyard walls at front
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Last Amended: 16 August 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69917
Location: Marazion, Cornwall, TR17
Civil Parish: Marazion
Built-Up Area: Marazion
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Marazion
Church of England Diocese: Truro
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/05/2020
Chy-an-Scol and Old Schoolhouse, including courtyard walls at front
(Formerly listed as Chy-an-Scol and Old Schoolhouse, including courtyard walls at front, FORE STREET)
School with schoolhouse, now two houses. Built in 1861 for Sir Christopher Cole's widow to provide education for the poor boys of the parish. Dressed granite brought to course with dressed granite steps, quoins, doorways and windows. Dry Delabole slate roofs with granite coped gable ends and dressed granite chimneys; chimneys over left hand gable and front gable, right, have octagonal shafts; large chimney over party wall and another chimney at rear, right. Tudor style.
Plan: T-shaped plan overall comprising single storey schoolroom left with entrance porch in front of left hand side and cross wing of schoolhouse, right, with chambers mostly in the roof space, schoolhouse entrance lobby right.
Exterior : Overall asymmetrical 1:2:1-bay south road front: stonework of doorways and windows painted; plinth; chamfered depressed two-centred arched doorways with hoodmoulds and relieving arches, original doors; shouldered headed lights to the chamfered mullioned windows. Two-light windows to schoolroom between gable ended porch left and projecting gable end of schoolhouse, right; three-light window left of schoolhouse gable, doorway right; four-light window to middle of gable, both windows with hoodmoulds and relieving arches. The gable window has wide central mullion containing flue. Over this window is an inscribed plaque to John Cole and a similar plaque in the porch gable has the Strangways (Earl of Ilchester) coat of arms.
Interior not inspected but schoolhouse is said to be very little altered but the schoolroom is subdivided for use as a house.
Low forecourt area walls of dressed granite brought to course at the front with three-sided dressed granite copings and in front of each doorway is a flight of granite steps.
Listing NGR: SW5215530710
Other nearby listed buildings