This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1554 / 50°9'19"N
Longitude: -5.4368 / 5°26'12"W
OS Eastings: 154605
OS Northings: 34031
OS Grid: SW546340
Mapcode National: GBR DXY8.JG0
Mapcode Global: VH12T.QC46
Entry Name: The Coach House, Including Courtyard Walls and Gate Piers Immediately North West of Trewinnard Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70349
Location: St. Erth, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: St. Erth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Erth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST ERTH TREWINNARD LANE
SW 53 SW
6/259 The Coach House, including court-
- yard walls and gate piers
immediately north west of
Trewinnard Manor Farmhouse
Coach house with former servant's accommodation, adjoining stables, mounting block
and front courtyard walls and entrance gate piers. Circa mid C18 but rear wing may
be older. Built for the Hawkins family. Granite rubble with granite dressings. Main
steep roof is grouted scantle slate (asbestos slate on rear slope) with hip at either
end and central pedimented gable at the front. Some C18 crested ridge tiles survive
on this roof and on roof of former stables set back on left. Rear wing has steep
roof at lower level, replaced with asbestos slate; other roofs are grouted scantle
slate. Brick chimneys at either end, over cross wall, left of middle and over cross
wall of rear wing. Chamfered wooden lintels over openings of rear wing.
Plan: Overall irregular reversed h-plan. Front range is a symmetrical 3:2:3 bay
plan with 2 central coachhouse broken forward and identical 2-room-plan servants
accommodation on either side with entrance lobbies between the rooms. Adjoining at
an angle to the rear, left of middle, is a 2-room-plan service wing, possibly
originally partly stables. At right angles left of the rear left-hand corner of the
wing is a single-storey pair of stables. Adjoining the right-hand side of the coach
house range is an C18 single storey stables with rear openings. Circa early C19
Exterior: 2-storeys. Symmetrical 3:2:3 bay north-east front with granite ashlar
plinth. Middle bays are broken forward and surmounted by a moulded triangular
pediment. Pair of wide carriage doorways have round arches with projecting keystones
springing from a plain band. Left and right of the coach houses are identical 3
window fronts with central doorways. Taller ground floor window, flat arches with
projecting keystones. Old panelled doors with overlights. Original C18 hornless
sashes with thick glazing bars to 3 openings in the left-hand front (over doorway and
right of doorway). The other windows are horned copies with thin glazing bars.
Integral stables adjoin on the right-hand side of this front and there is a mounting
block at the junction. Rear wing has 3 window south east front and has C18 12-pane
2-light casement window at first floor left.
Interior: Left-hand bays only inspected. This part is largely intact with most of
its C18 carpentry and joinery including 2-panel doors. A C17 lead-coated cannon ball
was found during repairs.
Surrounding a rectangular cobbled courtyard at the front are the original C18 rubble
walls with granite copings. At the north west side is a wide gateway with square-on-
plan gate piers with moulded caps.
A fine early C18 coach, known as 'The Trewinnard Coach' is preserved in Truro Museum.
The coach is reputed to have been bought by the Hawkins family from a Spanish
ambassador and used until 1777. From then it was stored in this building until 1919
when it was restored by Messrs. Fuller and Co. of Bristol.
Sources: Truro Museum.
Listing NGR: SW5460534031
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings