History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Camborne Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2127 / 50°12'45"N

Longitude: -5.299 / 5°17'56"W

OS Eastings: 164728

OS Northings: 39956

OS Grid: SW647399

Mapcode National: GBR FX93.TSY

Mapcode Global: VH12J.3XH9

Entry Name: Camborne Methodist Church

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1328117

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66570

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Built-Up Area: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Camborne and Tuckinghill

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Listing Text

CAMBORNE CHAPEL STREET
SW 63 NW
(east side)
10/25
Camborne Methodist Church
GV II

Methodist church, formerly known as Camborne Wesley chapel. 1828,
altered in 1911. Granite ashlar facade, with sides and rear of uncoursed
killas rubble (south side rendered); slate roof. Rectangular plan on east-
west axis, gable to road. Classical style. Two storeys and 5 bays,
symmetrical, with a pediment over the 3 centre bays, and banded corner
pilasters. At ground floor the original porch has been extended to make a
continuous portico with a 3-bay arcaded centre formed by 2 pairs of fluted
Doric columns in antis (the original porch) protecting 3 round-headed
doorways with panelled double doors and semicircular fanlight tracery, and
enclosed gallery entrances with round-headed windows in the outer bays,
all under a plain frieze and moulded cornice; the 1st floor has 5 round-
headed windows, those in the 3-bay centre (which breaks forward slightly)
linked by an impost band; all the windows have early C20 joinery with a
hooped centre and margin panes; the facade is finished with a band, a
deep frieze with 3 raised panels in the centre and ramped ends, moulded
cornice and pediment. The windows of the 5-bay side walls are square-
headed at ground floor and round-headed above. Rear extension including
school, not of special interest. Interior: horse-shoe gallery supported on
iron columns with stiff-leaf capitals, with mahogany panelled front; fluted
Corinthian pilasters to basket-arched apse (formerly orchestra, now choir
gallery); former 'City Road' arrangement of communion rail behind pulpit
replaced by C20 rostrum with communion rail in front. References:
J.C.C.Probert The Architecture of Cornish Methodism (1966); Thomas Shaw
A History of Cornish Methodism (1967).


Listing NGR: SW6472839956

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.