History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary's

A Grade II Listed Building in Isles of Scilly, Isles of Scilly

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 49.9153 / 49°54'54"N

Longitude: -6.3107 / 6°18'38"W

OS Eastings: 90658

OS Northings: 10584

OS Grid: SV906105

Mapcode National: GBR BXTX.06H

Mapcode Global: VGYC4.KDN9

Plus Code: 8CXMWM8Q+4P

Entry Name: Church of St Mary's

Listing Date: 12 February 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1328823

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62482

Location: St. Mary's, Isles of Scilly, TR21

County: Isles of Scilly

Civil Parish: St. Mary's

Built-Up Area: Hugh town

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Isles of Scilly

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Hugh Town

Listing Text

ST. MARY'S

SV9010 CHURCH ROAD, Hugh Town
1358-0/8/41 (North side)
12/02/75 Church of St. Mary's

GV II

Anglican Parish Church. 1836-1838 for Augustus Smith, Lord
Proprietor of the Islands. Coursed granite ashlar; stone-coped
gabled slate roof. Plan of single-vessel chancel and 7-bay
nave with north tower. Early Pointed Gothic Revival style.
Plinth, cill course and offset angle buttresses and corbel
tables. Chancel has 3 east lancets with hood moulds. Similar
lancets to 7-bay returns. West front has 3 graduated lancets
above concave-moulded pointed-arched doorway with hood mould.
Tower of 3 stages with similar buttresses framing recessed
bays with similar corbel tables,lancets, paired lancets to
bell stage and clock. Interior: simple chamfered chancel arch
and some original panelling to chancel. Unusual seating with
nave arranged as 3 ranks of stalls on either side of central
aisle with some nave benches in 2 stalls and returned against
west gallery supported on brackets. Queen-post trusses
supported from arched struts on wall posts on granite
brackets; plastered ceiling divided into compartments by
joists and purlins. Coloured and gilded wooden lion from the
flagship of Sir Cloudesley Shovel, wrecked in 1707. East
window attributed to C.E. Kempe 1887; west window by A.C. Ward
1937; two north windows by Alfred Wilkinson 1967.
(P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 14;
Buildings of England: Pevsner, N and Ratcliffe, E: Cornwall:
London: 1951-1970: 209).


Listing NGR: SV9065810584

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.