History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanley, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9595 / 52°57'34"N

Longitude: -1.3772 / 1°22'38"W

OS Eastings: 441931

OS Northings: 340419

OS Grid: SK419404

Mapcode National: GBR 7FY.DN3

Mapcode Global: WHDGN.TWC1

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1329235

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352295

Location: Stanley and Stanley Common, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE7

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Civil Parish: Stanley and Stanley Common

Built-Up Area: Stanley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Stanley St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Stanley

Listing Text

PARISH OF STANLEY STATION ROAD
SK 44 SW
2/92 (East Side)
Church of St Andrew
10.11.67 II

Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and 1874-5 by Evans & Jolly.
Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings. Plain tile
roof with west bellcote and stone coped gables. Decorative
ridge tiles. Chamfered eaves cornice. Nave, chancel, north
vestry and south porch. West elevation has diagonal buttresses
and a central buttress flanked by plain lancets restored in the
C19, with hoodmoulds. Gabled double bellcote above. South side
of the nave of four bays divided by buttresses. Gabled C19
timber framed porch with decorative bargeboards and mullioned
windows. To the left is a 2-light Dec style C19 window. To the
right is a similar 2-light window, a small, low, blocked, single
chamfered round-arched doorway. To the right again is a small
chamfered lancet. The chancel has a single lancet to south and
a 3-light east window of three stepped lights. Low clasping
buttresses. Gabled north vestry with a square headed 2-light
Dec style window to north and a doorway to west. Chimney stack
at the junction of the vestry and nave. The north side of the
nave is of three bays divided by buttresses. Three 2-light C19
windows with Dec style tracery. Interior: Chancel arch of two
chamfered orders, the inner order on corbels. C19 scissor
braced roofs. C17 communion rails with turned balusters. C19
pulpit made from Jacobean fragments. Brass inscription plate
(nave north wall) to Sir John Bentley, died 1621. Monument
(nave south) to Rachel Radford, died 1779 and John Radford, died
1788, slate panel with a fluted urn against an obelisk back
plate. Painted panel in the chancel with the names of singers
and the inscription For those Singers was this seat erected
1765. Small medieval octagonal font on an octagonal base, quite
plain. Painted Royal Arms of William IV hanging on the west
wall. Stained glass: east window 1904 by Kempe and Tower.
Nave north window c1874 by Mayer & Co of Munich and London.
Bold colours.


Listing NGR: SK4193140419

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.