This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4222 / 51°25'19"N
Longitude: -0.2697 / 0°16'11"W
OS Eastings: 520402
OS Northings: 170665
OS Grid: TQ204706
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.2PP
Mapcode Global: VHGR9.8JR2
Plus Code: 9C3XCPCJ+V4
Entry Name: The Pavilion
Listing Date: 1 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477791
Location: Kingston upon Thames, London, KT2
County: Kingston upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Coombe Hill
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: New Malden and Coombe Christ Church and St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 27 SW WARREN ROAD
(North East side)
Private house and attached garden wall to west. Designed 1958, built 1959-60 by Oliver Hill, originally for Mr and Mrs Goldetz. Rendered brick, green pantiled roofs, large central stack. One and a half storey central range between two-storey wings, each with staircases and originally with no through passage to second storey. Roughly symmetrical plan, the house entered via the east wing, with staircase hall and study. Central living room, with dining room and former servants stair in west wing. Kitchen and former servants' quarters to rear. Second floor has principal bedrooms in wings.
The house is set close to the rear of the site, and attention is thus focussed on the principal facade. Symmetrical composition, with central stack, and three-bay living room set forward under broad pediment beneath this. Three round-headed French windows under keystones, linked by string course suggesting pilasters between and to side of them. Pediment with blind ocular light. Roofs of end pavilions obscured by parapets, with square-headed French windows on ground floor with shutters and keystones, and segmental arched windows on first floor, also with shutters and keystones, and with delicate metal balconettes - the only feature reminiscent of a 1950s rather than earlier style. All windows have small rectangular panes. The west elevation with small casement windows in plain architrave surrounds, those to principal rooms treated as tripartite composition. Eastern (entrance) elevation with heavy panelled door under square toplight, with segmental arched casement window complete with balconette, shutters and keystone over. French window to left, and sash window to right lighting staircase, which has segmental arched sill as well as top. The rear elevation is a simple service area with metal windows to ground floor. Curved wall to west obscures kitchen wing to rear.
Interior. The principal rooms are well preserved. Entrance hall with pedimented doorcases to panelled doors. Baluster staircase typical of Hill's London town houses of the inter-war period. Living room is a tripartite composition divided by pairs of columns at either end, with high coved ceiling and central bolection-moulded fireplace. Double doors under pediment to hallway; the doors have been removed at dining room end. Dining room with shell alcoves in early C18 style. Moulded plaster panels to former principal bedroom in east wing designed for Mrs Goldetz. Mr Goldetz's room is simpler. A corridor has been cut through the central bathroom and former maid's room, so that the former guest room can be reached from the principal stair.
This is one of just three post-war houses by Oliver Hill (1887-1968), and shows him returning to the neo-Georgian style adopted for his listed London town houses of the 1930s. In part this was a response to his clients' wishes, but Alan Powers suggests that this also reflected his preoccupation in these years with history, as is best shown by his book with John Cornforth on English Country Houses: Caroline (1966). His one subsequent work, the simpler Long Newnton Priory (1963-5), is also a free-standing pavilion, but the Kingston house better demonstrates the influences of his interest in early neo-Palladianism. The house comprises a three-bay front under a broad pediment, in which is placed the principal living room, flanked by small two-storey wings each housing a staircase as well as the principal bedrooms. The greater height of the central room makes the upstairs planning awkward, and the rear elevation is unexciting, but the principal rooms retain distinctive Hill features with few alterations. This is a rare and important example of a late work by one of the leading English architects of the mid-century, and it reflects the interest in eighteenth-century garden pavilion design found in the 1950s.
Country Life, 28 December 1961, pp.1636-7
John Martin Robinson, The Latest Country Houses, London, Bodley Head, 1964, pp.84-92
Alan Powers, Oliver Hill - architect and lover of life, London, Mouton Publications, 1991
The asset was previously listed twice, also under the parish of Kingston as List entry 1379818. This entry was removed from the List on 17/07/2015.
Listing NGR: TQ2040270665
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings