This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4174 / 52°25'2"N
Longitude: 0.1886 / 0°11'19"E
OS Eastings: 548941
OS Northings: 282187
OS Grid: TL489821
Mapcode National: GBR M66.DHJ
Mapcode Global: VHHJ5.7H2N
Plus Code: 9F42C58Q+XF
Entry Name: Church of St Peter-Ad-Vincula
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1331472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49531
Location: Coveney, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
Civil Parish: Coveney
Built-Up Area: Coveney
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Coveney
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4882 COVENEY MAIN STREET
14/4 Church of St Peter -
ad - Vincula
Parish church. C13 nave and chancel and C14 west tower. 1896 restoration.
Field and rubblestone and limestone dressings. Continuous nave and chancel
roof, originally thatched and plain tiled from 1896. End parapet and C19
gable cross. Plan of west tower, aisleless nave and chancel with south porch
and C19 north vestry. West tower of three stages. Two lower stages are C14
with C15 upper stage. Embattled parapet with low pyramidal tiled cap to tower
roof. Ground stage open on north and south sides to form a passage. Two
centred arch of two wave moulded orders and a hollow moulding to each face of
the arch. West doorway has two centred arch of two chamfered orders. First
stage south wall has lancet window in two centred arch with two hollow
mouldings. The C15 bell stage has two cinequefoil openings to each side.
Nave has three C14 windows in two centred arches with reticulated tracery.
The south doorway has a two centred arch of three chamfered orders. The
centre chamfer terminates in a broach stop and is carried on angle shafts
which have been removed. There is a label with stops. The door is of
vertical planks with cover strips. The south porch has the date 1896 to the
gable but the walls are possibly older. They are rendered and have a high
plinth. Square heads to single light windows in each side. The S wall has a
C13 lancet and two cinquefoil windows and the east wall a restored
three-light C14 window with reticulated tracery. The north wall has coupled
lancets (see St Martins, Witcham) and two C13 lancets. C13 north doorway with
a two centred arch of two chamfered orders. Interior: above the west doorway
in the nave is a C13 lancet window with deep rear splay. The roof is C19 and
of seven bays and of collar rafter type. The piscina has two centred arch
with cinquefoil cusping. The roof above the sanctuary has C19 painted
boarding, and there-are patterned floor tiles. The reredos is German and C16.
Wood, carved in high relief and painted. In three bays divided by fluted
columns on brackets with end console brackets. Centre panel: the Crucifixion;
flanked on the left by the Flagellation and Mount of Olives and on the right
by Christ before Pilate and Christ carrying the Cross. Above a panel
depicting the Resurrection with strapwork decoration. The pulpit is Danish.
1706. On modern base. Wood, painted. Octagonal with pane depicting Christ
and the Evangelists. Pews in nave. C16. Original bench ends with poppy
head finials and typical heads in profile, Instruments of Christ's Passion,
keys, arms of the Scrope family, an eagle, a triskele etc. Chandelier C18
Dutch. Brass. Central shaft of baluster turnings with ball pendant finial.
In three tiers with six branches to the lower tier. C13 wall paintings on
Pevsner: Buildings of England p326
VCH: Cambs Vol IV
Listing NGR: TL4894182187
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings