This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2112 / 52°12'40"N
Longitude: 0.1149 / 0°6'53"E
OS Eastings: 544600
OS Northings: 259110
OS Grid: TL446591
Mapcode National: GBR L78.CW4
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.YP47
Plus Code: 9F426467+FX
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1331828
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47388
Location: Arbury, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3
Electoral Ward/Division: Arbury
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge The Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 449 CAMBRIDGE CASTLE STREET
Church of St Giles
Church. Rebuilt in 1875 from the design of Messrs. Healey of Bradford incorporating elements from the church previously on the site. Reset between the South Chapel and South aisle is the early C12 chancel arch from the former church and a late C12 doorway has been reset between the North aisle and the Vestry. In the South Chapel is reset a good mural monument to Nicholas Carre (MD. 1568). There is also a monument to William Wilkins the elder, 1815, the Communion Rails are early C18 and come from the English Church in Rotterdam. (RCHM 52).
Of outstanding quality by virtue of its collection of medieval and C18 survivals, together with C19 fittings by many of England's leading church decorators.
SOURCES: 3620 (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England), Inventory of the Historic Monuments in the City of Cambridge, 1959.
Listing NGR: TL4460059110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings