History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Winster, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1418 / 53°8'30"N

Longitude: -1.6434 / 1°38'36"W

OS Eastings: 423947

OS Northings: 360575

OS Grid: SK239605

Mapcode National: GBR 58S.58Y

Mapcode Global: WHCDM.Q9L8

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 12 July 1967

Last Amended: 23 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335208

English Heritage Legacy ID: 80213

Location: Winster, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Winster

Built-Up Area: Winster

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Winster St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Winster

Listing Text

SK 23 60 PARISH OF WINSTER ELTON ROAD
3/21 (South Side)
12.7.67 Church of St John the Baptist
GV II

Anglican Church. Tower dated 1721, with alterations and additions in 1840-2 by
Habershon, and in 1883 by A Roland Barker. Ashlar gritstone,with coped gables, moulded
eavesband and Welsh slated roof. West tower, south porch,nave with central arcade,
chancel with organ chamber and vestry. C18 tower with quoins and chamfered plinth,
and moulded stringcourse above ground floor windows and below plain parapet. Tower
windows with segmental heads and stone frames, and later doorway with chamfered,
quoined surround and Tudor arched head. Four bay nave, bays delineated by stepped
buttresses. South side porch with banded gable and stone slated roof. 'Y' tracery
windows with transoms beneath four centred arched heads. Hoodmoulds with stops.
Gables to vestry and organ chamber with 2-light traceried windows beneath hood-
moulds. 3-light east window to chancel beneath hoodmould with stops. Interior:
Gallery at west end supported on stone columns. Nave arcade with slender
quatrefoil shafts, ending at the chancel end with diagonal chancel arches
springing from a heavily foliated capital. Stained glass window to chancel south
wall by Burne-Jones (Morris & Co 1883). Curious font, with circular bowl on a
conical foot and carvings of Romanesque character, but so crisp as to appear to be
later work.


Listing NGR: SK2394760575

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.