This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9592 / 52°57'33"N
Longitude: -1.5367 / 1°32'12"W
OS Eastings: 431219
OS Northings: 340308
OS Grid: SK312403
Mapcode National: GBR P40.8K
Mapcode Global: WHCFG.CWH8
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335331
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78879
Location: Kedleston, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE22
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Kedleston
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Mugginton and Kedleston All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 34 SW; 3/40
PARISH OF KEDLESTON,
Church of All Saints
Parish church, now redundant. C12, late C13, C14, early C17,
restoration 1885, north aisle, 1907-9 by G F Bodley. Coursed
squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs
with stone coped gables, stone ridge tiles and parapets.
Chamfered plinth and string course. Cruciform plan, of central
tower, nave with north aisle, transepts, clerestoried chancel
and north vestry.
C12 south doorway has one order of colonnettes,
with beakheads biting into them. Round arch with zigzag, enclosing
a defaced tympanum with traces of beasts. Plank door. To the
right are two 2-light flat-arched windows with cusped ogee lights.
The transepts each have a late C13 window of three stepped lancet
lights, with stopped hoodmoulds. No openings to west or east.
Diagonal buttresses. The south side of the chancel has a
trefoiled lancet with hoodmould, a priest's doorway with
continuous keeled and filletted mouldings. Door with wrought-iron work
dated 1613. To the right, a 2-light, possibly C17, window under
a flat arch (it is shown in an engraving of 1792). Cusped
lancets with quatrefoils in circles above. The wall was raised
in C17 and has two 2-light clerestory windows, each light of
almost keyhole shape. East wall has diagonal buttresses and a
C19 3-light window with geometrical tracery. C17 parapet with
pedimented sundial with cherub head and aprons. End piers with
skull and cross-bones motifs and urn finials. The north side of
the chancel has a 2-light window and two clerestory windows, as
on the south side. C19 flat-roofed vestry with two 2-light cusped
lancets under flat arches, to the north. Three bay north aisle
chapel. 1907-9 by Bodley. The bays are divided by full height
buttresses with two gablets. Each bay has a row of three trefoils
below the plinth, as ventilators, and a 3-light window with
reticulated tracery. Parapet inscribed Qui Amultum Amavit, in
each bay. Similar west bay. The west wall of the nave has
diagonal buttresses and a C19 3-light window with reticulated
tracery. Gable above, raised in 1885, has a small trefoiled
lancet. The central tower has a chamfered string course. Below
it, to south-west and to north-east, is a trefoiled lancet. Late
C13 2-light bell openings with Y-tracery, to each face. Battle-
mented parapet and four crocketed pinnacles. C13 steep pitch
roof lines visible to south, north and east.
triple-chamfered crossing arches with moulded capitals.
Three-bay north arcade with quatrefoil piers with fillets and
filleted keels in the hollows. Moulded capitals with fleurons.
Arches with wave and hollow mouldings, with fleurons in the
hollow. Moulded hoodmould. Piscinae, one with a
single-chamfered arch in the south transept, with a moulded arch in
the north transept, and one with a sub-cusped moulded arch in
the chancel. Aumbry recess in the chancel. Wooden rib vault
with tiercerons, under the tower. Plaster groin vaults in the
transepts. Late C19 organ case in the north transept. C19 open-
work wooden pulpit. Brass eagle lectern of 1886. Early C18
stone font with a circular bowl on a polygonal shaft which divides
into four scrolly feet. Painted wood cover. C18 panelled dado in
nave and east wall of chancel. C18 box pews in the chancel and
early C18 communion rails. North arcade has elaborate iron
gates and screen by P Krall. Wrought-iron corona lucis and
light fittings. Stained glass; heraldic glass in the chancel.
C17 continental figure screens in the south windows. Early C20
glass by F C Eden. Five hatchments.
Monuments: In the chancel.
Effigy of Sir John Curzon, died 1406, reset in tomb recess with
depressed crocketed and pinnacled ogee arch, with shields above.
The jamb of an earlier arch to the left. Richard De Curzon, died
1275, and wife, head of each set in a quatrefoil and sunk into
the floor. Presumably part of the grave slabs. Richard Curzon
died 1496, and wife, brass with figures. William Curzon, died
1547, incised slab set in the floor. Sir Nathaniel Curzon and
wife, identical classical tablets of 1912. Alfred Curzon, died
1916, an early C17 style tablet. Blanche Baroness Scarsdale,
died 1875, tablet with portrait in high relief. In the south
transept. Tomb chest to Sir John Curzon and wife, c1450.
Effigies and along the front of the chest figures of angels and
saints. C13 coffin lid with foliated cross, possibly to Thomas
De Curzon, died 1245. Incised lead plaque to William Curzon,
died 1749. Sir John Curzon, died 1727, obelisk with portrait
medallion surrounded by a wreath of cherubs' heads. Standing
putti on either side. John Curzon, died 1719, tablet treated
as a swag. Sir John Curzon and wife, 1664, two niched panels
with columns on either side, and frontal demi-figures with an
angel in whole figure. In the predella seven frontal busts of
children between draperies. Several early C19 tablets. In the
north transept. Sir Nathaniel Curzon, 1765 by Rysbrack to
Robert Adam's design. Rusticated pyramid, and upright figures
of husband, wife and two sons. Sir Nathaniel Curzon and wife,
1737 by Peter Scheemakers, a standing wall monument with obelisk
and husband and wife in Roman attire seated with an urn between.
In the north aisle chapel a large free-standing white marble
tomb chest with effigies, 1913, by Sir B MacKennel.
Listing NGR: SK3121940307
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings