This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.271 / 51°16'15"N
Longitude: 0.5206 / 0°31'14"E
OS Eastings: 575925
OS Northings: 155443
OS Grid: TQ759554
Mapcode National: GBR PR7.6FH
Mapcode Global: VHJMD.ZB20
Entry Name: The Archbishop's Palace
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173433
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME15
Electoral Ward/Division: High Street
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/02/2017
TQ 7555 SE
MILL STREET (West Side)
The Archbishop's Palace
Begun by Archbishop Ufford in 1348. Completed by Archbishop Islip between 1349 and 1366. Enlarged by Archbishop Morton in 1486. Exchanged by Archbishop Crarmer with Henry VIII for other property. By Henry VIII it was granted to Sir Thomas Wyatt. On his son's rebellion it was forfeited to the Crown and subsequently granted to Sir John Astley, who built the greater part of the existing house in the second half of the C16.
The main portion of the building is of ashlar with timber-framed wings at the north and south ends. The main section is E-shaped. Two storeys and attics. Five windows and two dormers to the north-west front. Stringcourse. Parapet. Windows with stone mullions and transoms. Two large dormers above the outer-projecting east wings with kneelers, coping and finials over the apices and kneelers. Tiled roof. The centre projection is the porch with round-headed arch and room over.
At the south end of the building is a timber-framed wing nearby flush with the southern projection of the main front. This has one large and one small gable with pendants. Casement windows. At the north end of the building is a wing with stone ground floor and timber-framed upper storey with diagonal braces and plaster infill, surmounted by a gable with pendant. On the ground floor there is one obtusely pointed window and one square headed window containing two cinquefoil-headed lights. One sash window above them with glazing bars intact. To the north of this again is a further recessed wing wholly faced with stone but with a portion projecting on the first floor apparently timber framed but this is modern or a reconstruction.
The south-west front of the Palace facing the Medway has a fine stone corbelled oriel window with three tiers of six lights, stone mullions and transoms and chamfered stone corbelling beneath. Also there are some double or triple lancets with hood moulding. The interior contains C16 panelling and some fine C16 wood or stone fireplaces.
Gateway and Wall to Palace Gardens, Wall to north-west of Archbishop's Palace, The Archbishop's Palace, Wall to east of Archbishop's Palace, The Dungeons at the Archbishop's Palace, The Gate House at the Archbishop's Palace, The Len Bridge, The Tithe Barn, Parish Church of All Saints, Wall to north and west of All Saints Church, The College Gateway, The College Tower, The Masters House, The Master's Tower, Cutbush Almshouses and the Ruined Gateway form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ7592155442
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings