History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8688 / 51°52'7"N

Longitude: 0.6852 / 0°41'6"E

OS Eastings: 584966

OS Northings: 222323

OS Grid: TL849223

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.S2P

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.T9M6

Entry Name: Abbeydale

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337964

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116153

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(east side)

9/123 No. 3 (Abbeydale)


House. Early C18 or earlier, altered in late C18 and c.1900. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range facing W with axial
stack at left end and rear stack at right end. 2 short wings to rear with stack
between them. 2 storeys and attics. C19 2-storey lean-to extension with slate
roof to right, and single-storey lean-to extensions to rear of it and to left of
left wing. One 2-storey polygonal bay of sashes, and one square bay of sashes
on ground floor. One sash in right extension, and 3 sashes on first floor. All
these sashes have 6 upper lights and one large lower light, c.1900. 2 casements
in flat-roofed dormers with moulded cornices. Central half-glazed door in
doorcase with fluted pilasters, pulvinated frieze and moulded flat canopy.
Moulded eaves cornice. Curved parapet on right extension. Panel at rear of
left stack inscribed F.S. 1730. At rear right, 2-storey bow of sashes of 10+10
lights with some handmade glass, early C19. In the front range one transverse
beam with small roll mouldings, and one similar axial beam; left hearth rebuilt
in C20. C19 cast iron keyhole grate in left attic. Early C18 patterned plaster
in moulded panels, originally external, is enclosed in the left rear
ground-floor room and the first-floor room of the right extension, a rare
survival meriting special care. The 3-flight stair from first floor to attic,
c.1800, has 3 turned balusters to each tread, scrolled tread-ends of unusual
design, and a moulded pine handrail, French-polished to match the mahogany rail
of the later stair below. 2 original attic doors, each of 3 moulded planks with
a top batten cranked to match the shape of the roof. The rear left wing has 2
chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops and an C18 wood-burning hearth with
rounded back, wrought iron hanging bar and 2 trammels.

Listing NGR: TL8496622323

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.