This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5283 / 51°31'41"N
Longitude: -0.1316 / 0°7'53"W
OS Eastings: 529703
OS Northings: 182700
OS Grid: TQ297827
Mapcode National: GBR G6.M9
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.NVS8
Entry Name: The Royal George
Listing Date: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477267
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras with St James and Christ Church St Pancras
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2982NE EVERSHOLT STREET
798-1/89/1879 (East side)
The Royal George
Public house with staff flat over. 1939-40. By AE Sewell,
LRIBA, architect to Mssrs. Truman, Hanbury and Buxton, brewers
to replace a public house of the same name in Drummond Street.
Stock brick between bands of artificial stone to ground floor
and attic, green slate roof. Rear stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars on rectangular plot with
curved corners. Corner entrances to former public (north) and
saloon (south) bars, and central entrance to former private
bar; all have double doors. Band of six 2-light sash windows
either side of central entrance. First floor has large 2-light
casements under stone heads, four in centre and one on each
corner; similar casements form a strip in attic, set back
under projecting eaves and with set-back corners dominated by
relief sculptures of eagles. Access to upper flat in Wellesley
Road, where a door in similar style sits under first-floor
tripartite window with stone jambs.
INTERIOR: the interior originally consisted of lounge and
public bar at either end, with private bar in centre and games
room at rear now occupied by food counter. These bars now
united, but central counter remains. This, the back bar and
the walls and supporting columns to frieze height all with
veneer panelling typical of the late 1930s, with banded
decoration to bar and fitted seats to former lounge area clad
in the same timber. The chimney-pieces are most elaborately
treated, with marquetry decoration, that to the public bar
with small panels contrasting the steam age of the 1830s with
the radios and cocktails of the 1930s; a larger marquetry
panel in the lounge depicts the sailing ship The Royal George.
Banded coving over bar fascia and to cornices; inset roundels
in ceiling serve later C20 light fittings.
Included as a remarkably complete example of a 1930s pub, with
excellent marquetry panels depicting features from the style
of the period done with charm and panache.
Listing NGR: TQ2971182697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings