History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Weedon Barracks, Outer Walls to Magazine Enclosure

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weedon Bec, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2303 / 52°13'49"N

Longitude: -1.0899 / 1°5'23"W

OS Eastings: 462252

OS Northings: 259510

OS Grid: SP622595

Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.18H

Mapcode Global: VHCVM.264L

Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, Outer Walls to Magazine Enclosure

Listing Date: 6 August 1982

Last Amended: 29 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342983

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360833

Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Weedon Bec

Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Church Stowe

Listing Text

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/187 BRIDGE STREET
06-AUG-82 LOWER WEEDON
(West side)
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALLS TO
MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE

(Formerly listed as:
BRIDGE STREET
LOWER WEEDON
MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE WALLS)

GV II*
Walls. 1807-11. Red brick in Flemish with intermediate piers and moulded stone coping. Entrances at north end, facing east and west, inserted when rail siding brought into Magazine Compound after 1899. Bastion-like projections originally stood at each corner of the Compound. Lean-to structures, from which portcullis gates could be operated, at east and west ends of enclosure, lit by 3 segmental-headed openings and accessed by round-headed doorway and external brick steps to stone-coped balustrade. The portcullis gates to the east rise in a sandstone slot against the perimeter wall, the winding drum being set between pulleys on either side of its supporting trussed timber trestle. The structure at the west end has been modified by the infilling of the entrance and partial collapse.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details of the site see description of Storehouse No 2.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.